It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Third Time Will Not Be A Charm

We have a pet snake. The term "pet" is being used quite loosely here. "Pet" generally implies some sort of mutual interaction, etc. There isn't a lot of snake-walking that gets done or holding of snake on one's lap or petting snake or letting snake lick one's face and give "kisses". However, Roxalana is not wild and living in our house against her or our wishes (well, maybe hers. Who could know?), so in that regard she's a "pet" versus a wild snake.

I'm glad I could clear that up.

Another aspect to interject quickly is that the deal was we could have Roxy as long as it was understood that I have no plans or desire to touch her, hold her, let her crawl all over me, feed her, take care of her in any way. Not going to be my job. The most I'm willing to do is go to the store and---blech---buy her food.

Which brings us to the mice. Roxy eats live mice. About every two weeks, she's fed two mice while I am far removed to another part of the house. How it works is that my husband tosses her a mouse while the other one remains in the closed box which is inside the bag. What has been known to happen, however--TWICE now, mind you--is that my husband tosses in first mouse, gets busy with something else and, um, forgets about second mouse. So a couple of nights ago, I walk into the room, my husband is working on his computer on the bed when all of a sudden, apropos of nothing, he shoos me from the room. "Go, go, you need to go out of here for a minute." I'm a little confused, to say the least, but I go back out into the living, wracking my brain as to what bee could've stung his behind. Well, turns out it wasn't a bee that that got him all abuzz but a mouse, skittering into our bedroom right behind me. My husband saw me come in, spotted the mouse making his escape from his box and into our room and knew I would be somewhat less than impressed.

Fastforwarding past the scramble to fetch mouse: mouse was recovered and then promptly met with the grim reaper (sorry, guy), and my husband felt pretty pleased with himself for wrapping up all those loose ends.

I can tell you that the next time Roxy gets fed, ole eagle eyes here is going to stand guard (not too close) and keep an eye on the door. There isn't going to be a third time!

11 Comments:

Blogger heatherfeather said...

ah, to be a woman in a house full of boys, er, men.

9:30 PM, February 26, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Ew ew ew ew ew ew! So now you speak with fork tongue! Please tell me that thing does not reside in your bedroom?

9:55 PM, February 26, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a nice About Me blurb.

3:44 AM, February 27, 2006

 
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Well, isn't he the little snake charmer? LOL!

8:33 AM, February 27, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too funny, or it would be if i could get the picture of the feeding out of my head...

the only "snakes" i like are those that sacrifice themselves into shoes or purses. :)

9:45 AM, February 27, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

I agree with Michelle ... eeeewwww.
Snakes are fascinating creatures, but not in my house !!! Ditto for mice !!
Take care, Meow

4:02 PM, February 27, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I have never experienced life with a snake—well, I do have an ex-wife who rather reminds me of… but that’s a long story. As for feeding live critters to other critters, my #2 son, Rob, used to feed live gold fish to his lizards. Not in my presence, of course.

He “raised” the gold fish in a fish bowl. One time one of his great-aunts visited and he introduced her to his lizards, naming each of the three. His aunt walked over to the goldfish bowl and asked, “And what are the little fishies named?”

Rob looked at her as if she was very dense and replied, “Aunt Anne, you name pets; you don’t name food.”

5:55 PM, February 27, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

hah! that's great. yes, it's best not to get to attached to the ole food chain....

10:58 PM, February 27, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right, so there's another side to this story.

key points not mentioned or misrepresented above:

- roxy tends to take 10-20 minutes, depending on her mood, to completely swallow the first mouse. so we always have a gap twixt courses 1 and 2. in this particular case, there was no "forgetting" involved... the second course had simply absconded while the first was being eaten. this was a case of a particularly enterprising mouse, not feeder negligence.

- when it became evident that Mouse #2 had elected to chew his way free, as opposed to patiently awaiting his demise in the traditional fashion, appropriate steps were taken. a careful, if fruitless, search was duly undertaken. any household wives in residence were spared worry and angst, and mercifully allowed to remain in ignorance. plans were made to effect mouse recapture at upon earliest sighting. which event, unfortunately, ultimately occurred concurrent with the appearance of other other entities of a nature more spousal than mousal (if you will).

- when the mouse showed his little face at last, calm competence ruled the day. There was no "buzz", as has been irresponsibly reported. A prompt civilian evacuation followed by a simple herding, recapture and habitat reintroduction exercise, executed (as it were) by careful, competent people.

that's all. record's straight.

2:13 PM, February 28, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i've finally figured out who "cal" is -- i know, i'm probably a genius :).

cal, i enjoyed your rebuttal very much.

7:07 PM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

very clever, cal....excellently written of course. what a silly dream world you live in, tho :)
HAHAHA Just kidding. Fine. You did an excellent job in handling that. I grant you that.

12:17 AM, March 01, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home