It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Do You Know Where Your Children Are?

On Sunday, here in our area, two children went missing---ages 8 and 9, a brother and sister. They told their parents they were going to their local library. Instead, they hopped on a light-rail train and headed for a huge mall.

I was sick when I heard this story, imagining and hoping against the worst.

There's been a happy ending in that the kids were found---at the mall, 24 hours later. Dozens of police and volunteers scoured the area, spending hours searching. Time and energy and worry and fear spent in those 24 hours. No one is sure where they spent the night. Though they had little money with them, they were found wearing different clothes than they left in. So many questions and different stories being told.

And now coming to light is the fact that these children are often out until sometimes 10 at night and they'll call their parents, saying, "We're out. We're at our friends'. Come get us." They often roam unsupervised and are often at home at all hours unsupervised. Indicative of something unsettling is this quote from the father, given after his children were found: "They're very active, they're very social, very smart kids---they're firecrackers." Firecrackers?? They're kids!! They're 8 and 9! Why are they ever out past dark? Why don't their parents know where they are at all times? Why did the parents not even report them missing until 7 hours after the library had closed? Because they're firecrackers? Because they're too savvy for their age? And that changes the fact that they're only 8 and 9?

I guess I'm just really old-fashioned, but this appalls me. When I was a kid, we would roam our neighborhood, we would be out until suppertime. But it seems like the world was different then. I lived in a small town (not that bad things don't happen in a small town; they do. But that's another story). Our neighbors knew us. People kept an eye out. In a bigger city area, it's not the same. It's not the same sense of community. There aren't dozens of look-outs, people saying, "Get on home; it's time for you to be home."

And even so, they're babies still. Why do kids have to grow up so fast now? Is it really better to be so independant so quickly? It makes me sad. While I'm glad these kids had the street smarts to be okay, I think mostly they were just lucky. And while I'm glad they're fine, I feel like there's a whole bunch they're missing out on and trading for being firecrackers---namely, parents who want to shelter them, keep them safe, know where they are, covet them. Maybe secretly they'd trade the freedom to come and go as they please for the burden of concern and care and weighty parental questions, like "where are you going?" "where will you be?" "here's when you have to be home". Maybe I'm way off-base and too protective. It's hard to say.

7 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

we weren't allowed to leave our street when i was a kid. i lived in a small town too. when we turned 13, we were allowed to leave the street only to go get a coke from the store around the corner.
i really can't belive what kids get away with these days. i'm scared to death to have the little "firecrackers"

11:26 AM, February 14, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, it's a scary proposition, I tell ya. I don't understand why more parents of kids they already have aren't more scared sometimes.

12:13 PM, February 14, 2006

 
Blogger Kylee said...

scary very scary....I can't imagine the day I let my kid out of my sight outside anywhere..I know it will happen. I had a hard time dropping my step daughter off at school when she was 8....

1:16 PM, February 14, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Very scary ... they are only babies. I am only just letting my baby (she's nearly 12) go bike riding outside the street ... but only with a friend. We live in a quiet neighbourhood, off the main road, so hopefully she is safe. I want to get her a mobile phone to take with her when she goes riding ... how paranoid is that !!
Take care, Meow

3:28 PM, February 14, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Jeeez i'd love to shove a firecracker up that fathers arse!
My god, wtf are those parents thinking? Kids are kids you don't treat them as adults! The parents should act as parents and not a bloody boarding house landlord.
Your not old fashioned at all...just smart and a decent parent who knows what her kids are doing. Unbelieveable.............

5:41 PM, February 14, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

LOL, Michelle. I know it's not funny, actually, but you made me laugh. I'm glad I'm not being a paranoid parent....and I don't think a cell phone is being paranoid---necessary anymore. If the technology is there, we may as well use it to keep our kids safer.

11:05 PM, February 14, 2006

 
Blogger Lois Lane said...

I don't think you are off base at all. I agree with everything you said. 10 p.m. is much too late for children those ages to be out. I'm glad there was a happy outcome.
Lois Lane

7:43 AM, February 15, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home