It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Whoa There, Ned Nelly

There's a woman on my street who didn't use to be a woman. She was a man and then---poof!---appeared a woman. Kind of. Not the kind of woman that would win a beauty contest, if you know what I mean. More the kind of woman who looks like she might have been a man once.

I'd seen him around before, working in the yard, driving here and there. One evening, late, I noticed his garage open and some sort of partying going on. There were streamers and balloons, people milling about, whooping it up---like a birthday celebration. Or, say, a man-becoming-a-woman celebration. I found out the next week from my son's friend's mom (who's lived next door to him for years) that Ned was now Nelly. Whoa!! (The names have been changed to protect the....involved).

When I relay this story to some people, some have been known to be quite disgusted and put off by the whole thing. I find that my reaction has never been that---mostly, I guess, I feel kinda sorry for him/her. I guess "her" is what he is now. For a little while it seemed odd to refer to him as "her" but not so much anymore. She wears makeup and has breasts and even gets all decked out sometimes, but there'd never really be any mistaking her for someone feminine. And I just wonder what it'd be like to be forever stuck in the middle of two worlds----not really a man, not quite a woman. It doesn't invoke disgust---and I'm sure that my pity is misplaced as well. She seems quite happy and is probably happier now, closer to her "true" self, than she has ever been before.

Life takes an awful lot of courage sometimes.

9 Comments:

Blogger heatherfeather said...

has she had the surgery? maybe not. when people are transgendered, they have to live as the opposite sex for X number of years before the surgery. the cross dressing is usually the first step, followed by hormonal therapy.

it's during the hormonal therapy that the people start to look more like the gender they feel - and post-operation that they really do.

and life does take an awful lot of courage... especially when you think about how the mistrust, misunderstanding, hate and loathing from most people you meet is better than the hate and loathing you feel on the inside.

9:20 AM, February 10, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

powerful last paragraph, h-f. Much food for thought.

2:05 PM, February 10, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I so agree. It must take a lot of courage. Especially if they've not had the surgery...they tend to look like males dressed as females and come under heaps of scrutiny.
I say more power to them, no one would put themselves through that if they were not genuine :)

2:52 PM, February 11, 2006

 
Blogger Crystal said...

yes...and only having a period is the only thing keeping her from having that feminine look of why-do-you-hate-me-god? so, unless she starts sometime soon, she will probably look like a man forever.

12:58 PM, February 13, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I would say that as long as she is happy that’s what counts. It must be hell to go through life as a gender that one is not.

4:00 PM, February 13, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, I think her chances of ever looking womanly are thin, but like was mentioned: if she's happy, then I guess that's the main thing.

4:36 PM, February 13, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm no word from you...hope your doing ok :)

2:02 AM, February 14, 2006

 
Blogger Lois Lane said...

I covered gender issue stories a few times for a newspaper a couple of years ago. Transvestites were trying to get cities to change the rules for public bathrooms. Initially when I saw the items on the agenda I rolled my eyes at the whole topic. After learning what these people endure day to day I was overflowing with sympathy. I can just say I am so thankful to not know what Nelly is going through personally.
Happy Valentines day to you!

9:12 AM, February 14, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

michelle---sometimes it's like my brain freezes and there's nothing to say! I hate that!!!

10:09 AM, February 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home