It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Empty As My Pockets

There's a restaurant near my house that opened its doors some time ago. Not so long ago, but not exactly yesterday. I've been by this spot numerous times. It's right next door to a Subway sandwich place where my oldest son often purchases a sandwich before a wrestling tournament. I've driven by for various other reasons at all different times of day and night. And not one. single. time. have I ever seen anyone in the restaurant. Never have I seen anyone sitting at a table, having a meal. I cringe every time I drive by and see it sitting there, empty as a beer closet in premises where painters have been at work (name the author of this quote. Can you do it without a google search?). Sometimes I even try to avoid looking but my eyes have a mind of their own, zinging over to the windows, frantically searching for any sign of life. Nothing.

Now I know what you're thinking: I could be a customer!! But hold on! First of all, it's a vegetarian restaurant and mostly I'm a carnivore. You know, I guess that's not really even true though I do like a hamburger now and then. And I eat a lot of chicken. Other than that, I could do vegetarian okay. Especially for a meal here and there. So I can't really use that as my excuse, I suppose, but there's something that gives me pause about going to a restaurant where no one else ever goes. I'm assuming that all those un-customers know something I don't. They can't all be wrong, can they?

I know someone has to be first, but I've never been a big fan of being first at certain things: I'd never be first for a surgery of any kind, for instance. Here, let me perform your open-heart surgery. By the way, I've never done this before, but it'll be fine. Obviously someone somewhere was first for these things. And I applaud them; I admire their courage. And anyway, come on, you say--clearly, the only possible downside of being first at a restaurant is a bad meal and not, say, death. Right? Though I suppose there's always that possibility after all. You see how complicated it gets.

So what's the problem with this place? Location? Lack of advertising? Aesthetically unappealing? (Somewhat, yes.) Does it smell?

I just always feel so bad for people who have an idea that they think is really great and then nobody comes. I feel a sort of embarrassed compassion. What if it was a life-long dream? What if they've invested everything in it? Makes me hurt, kind of. Even so, I've got to run. I'm meeting a friend at In 'N' Out.

13 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Is it open!?

2:23 AM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

hah! good point! But I do check. And there's always a lone guy standing behind the register or sitting at the table right by it. Just sitting and waiting. :(

8:35 AM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Haha! In and Out Burger was one of my favorite places when I was in a burger mood. They don't have them in Illinois. Probably a good thing.
So why not stop at this new place and get a soda while reading the paper just to see what goes on? See if Mr. Lonely has anything interesting to say. If nothing else, it'll make for great blog material I'm sure. LOL!
Lois Lane

9:21 AM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger Crystal said...

god, you are even more guilty than i am. i mean, i feel bad about the philly connection that was only open for 3 months, but heck, after reading your post, i want to form some sort of food committee that eats at all the places people never eat. it is sad. the only way you can stop feeling bad about it is pretend that the owner is a horrible person. that's always fun.

9:52 AM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

I think I'll try that Crystal :) After I try Lois' suggestion and it all turns out horrible, I'll feel way less bad about it and be able to not care about the vacant empty place. :)

10:56 AM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

Everybody must be waiting on someone else to be first and see if an ambulance has to come and carry them away. That is odd. ec

11:12 AM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

i haven't been to a vegetarian restaurant (good or bad) in years... i really sort of miss them.

but i'd harm your pet right now for a cheeseburger with grilled onions from in n out.

5:36 PM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

As one who invested in a resturaunt that was the longtime dream of a friend, I know the risks—having lost a small bundle on it. It failed after 7 months. The first 3 months, the place was filled, Then, I guess, people just got tired of it. It’s a shame that happens.

8:16 PM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

yes, it is...they say that a restaurant is maybe the hardest venture to succeed at. I don't think I'd have the guts to it so I feel bad for people who do, and then have it flop.

And you and me, h-f: In N Out. Cheeseburger. Grilled onions. Diet Coke. Crispy fries. Special Sauce. All set.

9:57 PM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Sad to see a restaurant empty. Makes you wonder, though, what's wrong with it. Can they even cook !!! Maybe the owners are cannibals .... They eat all their customers, so they cannot ever come back !!

10:16 PM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

A restaurant like this puzzled us all when I was in school in NY... until we went in and it was *quite* obvious that the place was a front for other things. They had menus, but explained they were out of everything. Period. I think that was our hint to vacate the premises. You could always pretend they have some sort of organized crime connection... makes for interesting daydreaming if nothing else!

9:45 PM, January 24, 2006

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

oooh, there was a donut shop like that in the town in which i grew up (which was very close to jay are's hometown) that was only open for like 2 hours a day, around noon and never had donuts...

2:39 PM, January 25, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

other than that, tho, I bet it was a great donut place.

8:58 PM, January 25, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home