It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A Part Of Me Is Missing

I've lost my wedding ring, and it just makes me sick. I like to think that it's just misplaced, but since it's been over a week, I'm losing hope of ever finding it. A week ago Sunday I remember taking it off to wash my hair (my hair is long and sometimes I just wash it by leaning over the tub. Just clarifying. I didn't want you trying to figure out how I'd get in the shower and just manage to only wash my hair, or something like that). I have no memory of my ring after that. I don't remember if I put it right back on. I don't remember if I didn't. My mind is a complete blank after that point. I find that my mind is often a complete blank but I'm particularly upset about this particular lapse.

I've looked high and low. I've searched every conceivable place it could possibly be. It's gone. Completely disappeared as far as I can tell. And it makes me feel unsettled. I'll go through the day and realize I'm feeling a sort of low-lying, humming sadness and it's because my ring is gone and my left hand feels lonesome and naked.

It was a fairly original ring; I loved it for its uniqueness, and as a result of such uniqueness, I now probably can't find it again. The store it came from doesn't seem to have one like it anymore. And it's not like I can just run out and by another one. My money tree isn't functioning as well as I'd like right now.

Now why would my ring want to go away like that? The grass is never greener, you know.

15 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Did i mention i love your new counter tops??

Try not to stress over your ring. Give it time, it may appear out of the blue. If you have a birthday or anniversary coming up, perhaps it may be a lovely gift :)

OR....you can sell the snake to fund the ring!!

3:48 AM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:00 AM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

hah! lol...good thinkin' ;)

7:02 AM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger Crystal said...

Just think of all the attention you will get from hot, single men.

It will show up eventually. The cat probably ran off with it. I had a cat that used to steal my crayons and hide them behind the couch. Have you looked behind the couch?

8:10 AM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger Crystal said...

Just think of all the attention you will get from hot, single men.

It will show up eventually. The cat probably ran off with it. I had a cat that used to steal my crayons and hide them behind the couch. Have you looked behind the couch?

8:14 AM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

hey, I posted a comment this morning and blogger put it on there twice too! I wondered how I'd managed that by magic but now I see that perhaps I don't have untapped powers after all.
(and I haven't checked behind the couch, I must admit. I'll go do that now.)

10:49 AM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

I once took mine off and put it on the bathroom counter to wash my long hair in the tub, :-), and the cat swiped it into the sink. I had to pull the pipes apart but did find it. I'm so sorry your ring is missing!! My fingers are crossed that you find it.

11:58 AM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

I hope you find your wedding ring ... have you had a look down the drain hole in the sink ??? I like Michelle's idea about selling the snake to fund the ring !!! Take care, good luck, Meow

3:24 PM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger Rob said...

A few months ago I was picking up great armfuls of newspaper in the garage, wrapping it around itself to make a big ball to put in the garbage can (that's dustbin for some of you).

Half an hour later I realized my ring was gone, and so was the garbage since it was Thursday...

Since I couldn't get the ring back, I ended up having to get a divorce, so I recommend getting a new one soon...
;-)

5:50 PM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

The loss of something as important as a wedding ring can really dampen one’s spirits. I actually lost two wedding rings. Then I bought and third and… No, I’ll not share that part.

I hope you find your ring.

7:18 PM, February 28, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bryan, you're definitely weird (in the most entertaining way, of course!).

i'm sorry about your ring. "low-lying, humming sadness" is a perfect description that i have felt before for problems (for lack of a better word) that are not quite tangible until the realization hits me over the head. that feeling is just kinda always there.

i'm hoping that it does show up like lost things miraculously do sometimes.

7:28 PM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Oh, I hope it turns up! I once lost my car keys for MONTHS before they turned up in the pantry; I'd dropped them there while putting away groceries. I hope your ring has a similar happy ending.

8:49 PM, February 28, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

I lost my keys once while shopping in Costco once and never ever found them. I know I just set them down next to something I was looking at (probably in the books) and they never surfaced. I was sure I would go out and find my vehicle gone (since all someone would have to do is beep the thing and follow it to the car) but I got lucky there.
My keys are still there somewhere I'm sure....
Maybe my ring went to keep them company.

12:07 AM, March 01, 2006

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

maybe your ring decided it wanted to see kyrgzistan and couldn't wait for you to decide you wanted to go too so it rolled off to the airport to sneak a flight to bishkek.

5:40 AM, March 02, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

heh
it's as possible as anything else, that for sure :)
maybe I shoulda gone too...

8:37 AM, March 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home