It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Motherhood And Politics

These are dangerous waters that I rarely get into for several reasons: I'm not very political. I'm not heated about my views. I don't have all the information. I absolutely hate angry and emotional and irrational debates about politics--especially among people who know each other. It's not worth it and many times, it's not an appropriate subject if it's causing angst. That's just my personal opinion.

THAT SAID....(and this isn't an invitation TO a political debate. I've no desire for that. Just making an observation): this line in an article--this question asked--caught my eye. Speaking about vice-presidential candidate, Sarah Palin: "Does the fact that she's a woman and mother affect her abilities as a politician." I would think it couldn't NOT affect one's abilities, but that to me wasn't as big an issue as the fact that her being a politician, without a doubt, affects her abilities as a mother. She has young children and even more, a special needs baby, and there is NO way being a politician allows her the time needed to be there for her children. Period. I'm not saying every mom MUST STAY HOME ALL DAY WITH THE CHILDREN. Let's not get into that debate. It's a complicated issue in many ways. I have my personal feelings about it, but I know that nothing is ever black and white. But I do know that children require time and effort and attention. Being a politician requires time and effort and attention. Just as much. There are only so many hours in a day. I'm not saying I couldn't be convinced otherwise about this; it's just that the math doesn't add up for me.

Beyond the young children, my thoughts were especially on the child with special needs. My two youngest boys are deaf and while they're doing excellently today at 10 and 12, I can tell you that those early years, those first four years or so, required exhaustive care and attention and time and more time and even more time. The thought of being a leader of a state, let alone a country, while being a parent of small children and the parent of a special needs child, makes me want to laugh hysterically. Sure, she could run circles---mega circles---around me. Of that, I have no doubt. But there are still only 24 hours in a day. In my world. In her world. Perhaps the children are minding the children and maybe that works. Maybe it's a stellar plan for them. I find it doubtful and unlikely myself.

SO. I'll probably regret bringing this up, but that's what I wanted to say about that.

13 Comments:

Blogger heatherfeather said...

Thanks for sharing. I shan't fight you over politics because, oddly, that just makes me sleepy. :)

1:02 PM, September 03, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

sounds good. And how are you?? Hope everything is well in your neck of the woods.

1:35 PM, September 03, 2008

 
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

I was wondering this same thing. Let me say now that I don't (anymore, I guess maybe I used to) relish political debate among those who differ and are also good friends/family because it seems counterproductive. On the Palin front, I think I read that her husband is a stay-at-home dad, so there's that at least; SOMEBODY should be staying home, for sure. But yeah, nothing and no one can substitute for the mother, and it does seems to me irresponsible of her to take on such a task with such greater and more important responsibilities at home. I am still a feminist :) but I am glad that we have the luxury these days of admitting that womens' roles are different from mens' if for no other reason than biology, and we don't have to pretend to BE men anymore just to get respect, etc. So yeah -- I think it's doing her children a disservice, especially with one so young. It's probably true that no one would say this if she were a man, but she's not a man. She's the mom.

P.S. I am not saying this from any partisan perspective at all. Something else about the whole thing: I'm annoyed that people are making SO much of the daughter's pregnancy. Kids are supposed to be off-limits in the press. I guess those days are gone. And we all know that it doesn't mean she was an irresponsible person or mother. Unless you lock your kid in a dungeon all day, there's no way you can absolutely prevent something like this.

2:01 PM, September 03, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

if the dad is truly a stay-at-home dad, that would change things. What I heard (and remember! I said I didn't have all the information) was that he had a demanding job as well. Hopefully that isn't true. I mean, raising your kids is a demanding job, but apparently they meant a demanding job outside of the home. Who knows.

2:08 PM, September 03, 2008

 
Blogger Rob said...

what, you want her to stay home and bake cookies?
;-)

12:35 AM, September 04, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

I think she and Hillary should whip me up a yummy batch of chocolate chip cookies.

12:40 AM, September 04, 2008

 
Blogger unca said...

I think a much more important issue is the fact that the letters in Sarah Palin's name can be rearranged to spell "a sharp nail"

8:53 PM, September 04, 2008

 
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Ack, if they both have demanding jobs, that is too bad for the kids. Sorry to hear that.

10:54 PM, September 04, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

but what about "a sharp nail"? That's bad news, too. Bad news all around.

11:07 PM, September 04, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..."her being a politician, without a doubt, affects her abilities as a mother." I love the way you turned that around, Jay Are! For now, that is the extent of my comment. Ukraine Jane

11:14 PM, September 06, 2008

 
Blogger Blogball said...

I have been getting a kick out of groups like NOW (National Organization for Women)
They just don’t know how to handle this. I guess they are all for women’s rights and the freedom to choose as long as it’s them doing the choosing.

2:30 PM, September 08, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

It's always easier if you just make up the rules as you go.

3:28 PM, September 08, 2008

 
Blogger jay aitch said...

That blogball is an astute fellow.

11:15 PM, September 25, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home