It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Monday, July 02, 2007

A Strange Phenomenon

A strange thing has been happening. I'm finding that I'm losing my taste and desire for Diet Coke. For those of you who know me, that's as likely as finding the image of Jesus in my pancakes (I know, I know. It happens. But it couldn't ever happen to me because I rarely eat pancakes and I've never even seen Jesus, so I really don't know what he looks like).

How can I stop liking Diet Coke?? How is this possible? I go and buy a Big Gulp out of habit, wanting and expecting the ole familiar comfort of a--well, a big ole gulp. And it just falls flat. Talk about disappointing!! I just read that one of the first signs of Alzheimer's is loss of smell---I'd be extremely worried if it had been loss of taste.

So....I don't know what happens from here. I'm not saying I don't still enjoy it now and then, but just not like before. How disheartening. And yeah, yeah, I know that it's a great thing for all sorts of reasons, health being a main one. But as far as vices go, it's a fairly harmless one. All I can say is that I at least better drop a quick ten pounds---I have to get something outta the deal!

14 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

it's probably a tumor.

12:59 AM, July 03, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

oh, hey, good point. perfect.

1:04 AM, July 03, 2007

 
Blogger Lisa said...

I would LOVE to stop liking Diet Coke!! I don't think it's as harmless as you think. I would celebrate if I were you (with something fizzy other than Diet Coke).

If you still don't believe me, read The Brief History of the Dead. :)

4:52 PM, July 03, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

well, I don't think it's totally harmless but as vices GO, it's maybe not as bad as, say, smoking or drugs or....you get my drift. But maybe I'm wrong. I'll read up about it.

8:58 PM, July 03, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

oh. no. How does that song go? "Life as we know it ended today."
I can't imagine, I really can't imagine.
(Have you tried Diet Dr Pepper? Just a thought. Hope it helps.)

10:40 PM, July 03, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, diet dr. pepper is quite good actually. no, it's the whole soda thing. sigh. :)

10:46 PM, July 03, 2007

 
Blogger mreddie said...

Hopefully it is not serious, I have noticed that some of my tastes have changed in the last several months - but in my case it is probably just old age. :) ec

8:26 AM, July 04, 2007

 
Blogger Dx said...

Have you tried half strength diet coke? To achieve this, you simply add vodka in an equal quantity. Works for me.

2:23 AM, July 05, 2007

 
Blogger Lisa said...

I like the vodka idea, myself. :)

6:44 AM, July 05, 2007

 
Blogger Amy said...

What about the new bottled teas they're coming out with? Those are pretty yummy. I'm actually surprised it took you this long, like one of our in-common friends said "diet coke tastes like battery acid". (I know, I just offended most of your readership..sorry)

8:49 AM, July 06, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

but really good battery acid.

12:13 PM, July 06, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

and yeah, those teas are good actually. I've tried a few.

12:14 PM, July 06, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very disappointing. VERY. However, I think it is merely a passing phase, perhaps related to the summer solstice, or some such, and that you will soon regain your senses. Keep us posted. By the way, this is anyaransuns, but I can't seem to post with my name - it says incorrect password. Anyway, I'm thinking of you during this very difficult time. ;)

11:04 PM, July 08, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

as soon as I saw "this is very disappointing" I knew it was you :) It's disappointing indeed. But I'm still hangin' in there---still having a diet coke more than I should regardless. Just not as much as before.

11:21 PM, July 08, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home