It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Be A Lert. The World Needs More Lerts.

Two days ago I was driving behind a woman on a small street near my home. We were approaching an intersection---to our right I noticed a young boy on a bike heading west to our north. He was approaching the intersection; the car in front of me was approaching the intersection. One of them had to stop. My mind has completely blanked out whether we had a green light or a red light.

At any rate, the bike went through the intersection AND the car went through the intersection. They met in the middle with the car broadsiding the bike rider. I went back later and there are definite skid marks showing that the car tried to stop (I also wasn't able to remember if she'd had time to brake). It was awful to see and to hear. I was able to see the boy stagger to his feet twice, like a wounded animal, and then just lay on the ground.

BUT! He's okay apparently. Immediately on the scene was a fireman who lives three houses down from the intersection. He's a friend of ours and I went back later and asked him how the boy seemed, if it seemed he was okay (nobody, of course, could know about internal injuries). He said, "It was definitely not his time to go!" The boy, 11, (who wasn't wearing a helmet--too uncool I'm sure), didn't even have any abrasions! Nothing seemed to be broken; he seemed to be fine. They transported him to the hospital as a precaution, but on the surface of things, he seemed fine. Amazing.

I felt sorry for the woman in the car. How many many times could it have been me?? How many times could it have been any of us? I don't know that she was driving too fast, but I know that many many times people drive too fast down these little residential streets. There are children chasing balls, riding their bikes (without helmets and against the light), playing too close to the street---just being kids. I'm glad this reminder to SLOW DOWN came without any horrible consequences. That might not be the case next time.

6 Comments:

Blogger jay aitch said...

I find it interesting that you get 16 comments on your blog about Paris Hilton and no comments about a little boy who nearly lost his life. Hmmmmmm..... I worry about our society!

1:08 PM, May 26, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

:) yes, the one is sobering but the other more fun and lighthearted. Maybe we lean toward that more often.

4:04 PM, May 26, 2007

 
Blogger jay aitch said...

True, true. Lighthearted is good, too. Better than lightheaded, eh?

6:29 PM, May 26, 2007

 
Blogger Gina said...

These are the things that scare me about our street. People go SO fast. I am so glad that the boy is going to be OK, that could have ended so tragically.

2:25 PM, May 28, 2007

 
Blogger mreddie said...

It is so true that some young ones seem to rather lose their life than be uncool by wearing a helmet. About raising teenagers, parents of them not only need an award but a lot of prayer to make it through the ordeal. ec

7:47 PM, May 29, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I think the whole world is a lot scarier once you have kids. And I cringe to think of what might have happened on the occasions that I've looked at my cell phone or fed Goldfish to my kids whilst at the wheel. Yipes.

10:54 PM, May 29, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home