It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Words Of Wisdom

When I go to a Chinese restaurant and get a fortune cookie, that's what I want. A fortune cookie. NOT a statement cookie. I want to read something like, "You'll soon be getting a big wad of cash" not: "You are a nice person."

The other day I got one of my favorite statement cookies ever:

"Sometimes the wisest person wears the rudest clothing."

That's the best. What exactly, say, does a rude shirt do? Stick out its tongue? Curse as you walk by? And how exactly does it make you wise?

Well, we figured that it was a translation thing---rude meaning basic, perhaps; or crude, mean, base, poor. Regardless, I like to think of it as the rude we know today. It's much funnier that way.

Despite the entertainment value, however, I still prefer the wad of cash. Thanks anyway, though.

5 Comments:

Blogger si said...

i recently received a real fortune-fortune cookie -- something like "you will become rich". i meant to keep it 'cuz it will *have* to come true, right? (that type of thinking is probably why they produce "statement cookies" instead -- the cookie makers may very well have been sued for fortunes not coming true...)

11:54 AM, May 07, 2007

 
Blogger Crystal said...

The best fortune I ever got was in my stick of Fortune Cookie Gum from the ice cream man. It said:

Don't cry over spilled milk. Let your cat lick it up.

Effing novel!

1:34 PM, May 07, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

lol...that's great. and what the heck is fortune cookie gum?? sounds quite interesting. I want some.

2:54 PM, May 07, 2007

 
Blogger Lisa said...

In the days before our wedding, my (then soon to be) husband got a fortune that said "you and your wife will be very happy in your future together"

I think it's still in his wallet!

9:18 AM, May 08, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

wow; that's awesome! That's what I'm talking about. :)

8:32 AM, May 09, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home