It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Sleeping With The Fishes

Friday afternoon we decided to play tourist in San Francisco and spent some time at Fisherman's Wharf. Among other things, we visited the aquarium at Pier 39 and I was quite impressed. I've been to San Francisco too many times to count and for some reason I've never paid it a visit. I'm sure it wasn't quite like Bryan's aquarium experience but I was impressed even so. It's a fairly small aquarium compared to some of the majors, but it was fascinating. There are clear tunnels that you walk through so the fish are all around you. Name a sea creature and it was likely there. I enjoyed looking at the colors, the shapes, the beautiful and the ugly things growing on the rocks. But I think the thing that interested me the most was how the fish would sleep---on the floor of the tanks; in mid-water; in the greenery---plopped on the leaves like they were pretend and someone had stuck them there; lying sideways on a rock....sometimes they were just lined up on the sand, all in a row, taking a snooze. I don't know why I got such a kick out of that. I guess it's been a long time since I visited an aquarium; I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. You should go visit the one nearest you soon. And if you're ever in San Francisco, go check out the aquarium at Pier 39.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

hmmm, I've never been there either. What a shame. I'll have to go check it out. Must be nice to just sleep wherever, ey?

8:21 AM, April 15, 2007

 
Blogger si said...

at the monterey aquarium, our group had an event held there at night. there were a few fish that were "hanging" vertically right by the glass -- not sure what they were doing. we were told they were "sleeping". have never seen that before. there were others "laying" down on the floor of the tank that i assumed were also sleeping. interesting -- guess different species have their own sleep positions (actually, i have to admit that i thot fish never sleep -- something about always moving to keep that oxygen-thing flowing...).

i've never been to the sf aquarium either, even tho i've been to pier 39 many times. need to expand my routine.

11:44 AM, April 15, 2007

 
Blogger Rob said...

are you sure they were sleeping? maybe they were dead and the aquarium people just hadn't got around to fishing them out of the tank yet.
i'm just saying, you never know about aquarium people.

4:57 PM, April 16, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home