It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Friday, March 16, 2007

"The Book Thief"

stole my heart.

I rarely buy a book. I don't have the money to spend on all the books I want to read and that's what libraries are for, right? Also, there aren't many books that I feel like I just have to have. I enjoy reading most books once and have no intention of reading them again. (The good news, however, is that my memory is so crummy, I can usually read a book several times and enjoy it each time). Now and then, a book stands out among the rest and insists that I possess it ("Peace Like A River" or "The Power Of One" to name a couple). It is certain that "The Book Thief" will join them, triumph over them. Even if I never read it again, I want to see it there on the bookshelf so that I can remember. I don't ever want to forget Liesel or Rudy or Max. Hans or Rosa or the mayor's wife. It was that kind of book.

To say that Markus Zusak's writing style in this novel is exquisite and unique doesn't really do it justice---there were passages that made me murmur aloud in utter satisfaction. To say that this story was devastating oversimplifies matters. To say that it evoked emotions like few books have done is a bit of an understatement. I'll describe what it's about by just saying this: Nazi Germany in the late 30's. Oh, the atrocities to humanity; the resilience of the human spirit.

Thanks, Markus Zusak, for writing this story. Thanks, Lisa, for recommending it. I can't think of anyone who shouldn't read it.

Right away.

17 Comments:

Blogger jay aitch said...

And don't forget 'Ashes in the Wind." I know it wouldn't compare to the one you just read, but it is one of the only books I have read more than once.

4:19 PM, March 16, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

that was a goodie for sure (considering that I read it about 7 times, I guess I liked it). But I'd have to say, it's not in The Book Thief's class.

4:47 PM, March 16, 2007

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Oooh, I'm so glad you liked it. The entire human race MUST read this book. Absolutely incredible.

8:19 PM, March 16, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

With plenty of time on my hands at the moment, "The Book Thief" sounds like an excellent book to read. Thanks for the recommendation.

10:40 PM, March 16, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I always love your literary tastes (and Lisa's, BTW) so I'll be searching this one out soon!

8:42 PM, March 17, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Also btw, after reading the first line I thought someone stole your book you'd just bought (and therefore stole your heart). Glad that was clarified!!

1:54 PM, March 19, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

lol...yes, I can see how that could be confusing. I was hoping the quotes in the title might help but I should've been a little clearer right off. :)

3:02 PM, March 19, 2007

 
Blogger prrrof said...

I've been hearing about this book for a long time and for some reason haven't tracked it down yet. But I will. Thanks for the recommendation...

7:54 AM, March 20, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

for some reason it seems to be located in the young adult section. not sure why because it definitely isn't only a teen book.

1:02 PM, March 20, 2007

 
Blogger Rob said...

Even tho I'm overwhelmed with work, and I have no less than 40 other as-yet-unread book purchases on my shelf, on Lisa's recommendation I'm reading this book as we speak (so to speak), and enjoying it immensely.
Speaking of which, why do we enjoy things "immensely"? Why not gargantuanly, or really bigly? Why don't we hit people immensely, or succeed immensely, or shave our mustaches immensely? For that matter, why do we have facial hair at all? These are the questions that try men's souls. Or at least annoy us when people use them to clog up our blog comments section.

7:52 AM, March 21, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

those are immensely important issues you raise/questions you ask, Bryan. They beg further contemplation for sure. Glad you're reading and enjoying Thief.

8:43 AM, March 22, 2007

 
Blogger Lisa said...

hey jay are...really just posting a comment here to see if my new profile pic shows up....

7:31 PM, March 22, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

glad to be of service...it's very cool :) I asked my niece about the picture you wanted her to draw and she was happy to do it but she must've forgotten. I think she's going to be here next week, so I'll see if I can get her to do it on the computer for you. But this one is cool too :)

9:19 PM, March 22, 2007

 
Blogger Ev said...

i need a good book. it's been too long.

2:33 PM, March 28, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

read it!

3:34 PM, March 28, 2007

 
Blogger Crystal said...

so i bought the book thief of of amazon on your recommendation. hopefully i will get the chance to read it soon!

2:18 PM, April 11, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

I hope you like it, crystal. I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

8:55 PM, April 11, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home