It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Monday, March 05, 2007

My Lips Are Sealed!

Remind me to never mention the boring, routine days again. If I ever do, zap me.

My dad is back in the hospital, admitted this time (not just an emergency room visit). Tonight will be his second night. Saturday he never got out of bed (this is HIGHLY unusual behavior), Sunday he came down with a fever, temperature of 104. He couldn't even get himself to the car; my brother and a friend who was visiting their home at the time had to get him in the car. Anyway, he has an infection that they can't pinpoint and they're running yet more scans. Nobody has told him much of anything--what's going on, how long he's supposed to be there, etc. etc. I guarantee you he's gonna hie himself right outta there by tomorrow. Enough of that already. We shall see.

And then today around 2:15 while on my way to the school to pick up my two youngest, I got a call from the school. My youngest was in the nurse's office with two broken teeth. His mouth connected with a girl's head in P.E. and his two front (NOT baby) teeth broke---one in half, one chipped. He was in pain, in shock, afraid of what it meant to have broken teeth, etc. The lady in the front office---bless her li'l heart---went back out to the track and actually found the other half of his one tooth. She promptly put it in milk, I rounded up my kids and we headed for the dentist's office. Two hours later the dentist's magical repairs were done and he looks as good as new. HOWEVER....we have to watch for infection, in the one tooth especially (that broke in half). The break was very near a nerve and if it gets infected, they'll have to do a root canal which will be very difficult apparently. The roots are not fully developed or some such thing---at any rate, infection = bad. For two weeks he has to be extremely careful (no basketball? no wrestling? no running around? Riiiiggghhhtt) and eat soft foods. Even after that, he needs to be careful. It should be interesting. I imagine I'll be a bit nervous about his mouth for awhile.

And the girl? Who knows. Apparently she turned around when he bumped (?) into her, said "oh, sorry" and skipped off to her class. ??? Doesn't her head hurt? How could my son break his teeth and her head not even hurt? Weirdest thing ever. Could be that she's got a whopper of a headache right now, though. I wonder if she'll remember where it came from.

So. Zip. Zip. No more talk of boring days.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

some of the coolest people i am have broken their front teeth.
but i didn't do it biting girls' heads. that's not that cool. what r u teaching those boys, anyway? that it's okay to bite girls on the head? how about arms? do you let them bite arms, too? i'm calling someone right now.

1:23 AM, March 06, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

well I've noticed that particular members of my family (well, my husband's family, I should say) are somewhat vampire-like. I guess he's just following in some well-worn footsteps. :) (I think a hockey stick busting your teeth out might be cooler than running into some girl's head. Not sure.)

7:43 AM, March 06, 2007

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Repeat after me: Boring is good. Good. We like boring. Love it, even.

Holy cow, girl. Am I terrible to wonder how this is going to affect our lunch date????? (I need to know because my life is boring....)

8:02 AM, March 06, 2007

 
Blogger si said...

definitely jinxed yourself! hope your dad's doing better.

also am in the "cool crowd" with a broken tooth (i'm a girl, too!). broke it on a sandwich -- how's that for weird?? (well, there's a little more to the story but i won't bore you with it...) yeah, definitely keep away from root canals, if you can help it!

12:55 PM, March 06, 2007

 
Blogger Amy said...

Wow, and you said your life wasn't exciting.. Glad the teeth are okay. What about your dad? That is so scary. Hope they figure it out soon. Those "don't know" things are always more frightening I think.

7:04 PM, March 06, 2007

 
Blogger Extrem4 said...

I was one of the cool people Bryan was talking about and I was one of those lucky kids that got the root canal. Just after getting the real set of front teeth I went head first off a bike down a hill and shaved mine off. great fun when you are in the 1st or 2nd grade. Anyway, i always figured I would never go through a worse dental experience and so far that has been true. I had to get mine capped with these bucky teeth until I got the real ones that I was supposed to swap out at 18 or 19 and well here I am at 39 with the same old teeth. One fell out once but a little super glue by the dentist and all is well.

8:54 PM, March 06, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Owwwwwwwieeee! Makes my stomach hurt just to think of that!! yeek. I do wonder about that girl, though. I think actually she has the most boring life, since someone breaks their teeth on her and she doesn't even flinch. Hpe your dad's testing comes out fine... keep us posted! The rest of your family better stay inside for the next year or so to escape whatever is chasing you guys!

11:11 PM, March 06, 2007

 
Blogger Didge said...

OH, I feel bad about the teeth. You want them to keep those perfect beautiful pearly whites until it is time for dentures! And what a way for them to go. Soft foods for two weeks? Dylan had his tonsils out at Christmas and we did the cold, soft foods thing for two weeks. I never would have thought that ice cream would get old for a kid but it sure did. He would start to cry when he saw us eating breakfast cereal and run back upstairs yelling, I can't eat anything!! Hope you find some good soft foods and that the teeth can be saved. Argh about your dad. They can be troublesome at times.

12:35 AM, March 16, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home