It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Tragedy In A Minor Key

I was surprised by my reaction to the news that Anna Nicole Smith died: complete shock and dismay. I know she's really only famous for being famous, she's ditzy and seemingly empty-headed and silly really. But I've always thought she was quite pretty and have felt bad for her these last five months or so considering everything swirling around her: the sudden and unexplained death of her son only three days after the birth of her daughter, the legal woes concerning who's really the father of her daughter, the question of whether the house she lives in is really hers to be in, etc. etc. (so Hollywood!! So People magazine!!). But to read the news online this afternoon that she suddenly died like her son---unexpectedly, unexplained, too young (39)---was really shocking. The saddest thing to me is thinking about that little five-month-old girl who will never know her mother and who now might be used merely as a pawn, a tool, between two men who will be insisting she belongs to him (the one may have the DNA but the other has been raising her). Compared to the tragedies around the world, I know that this is a minor one. But still one for some people---maybe mostly for a little, now motherless baby.

13 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I had the same unexplainable feeling of sadness. Like you, I mostly feel for the little girl who's left behind. It all seems like such a terrible waste. And possible worse, we'll forget about both of them by tomorrow...

4:17 PM, February 08, 2007

 
Blogger si said...

i also felt an inexplicable sadness about her death. she was so young, had so much tragedy, AND what is to happen with her poor baby?

7:16 PM, February 08, 2007

 
Blogger mreddie said...

It always seems to be the children that have the greater price to pay in these soap opera kid games that so many so-called adults play. ec

8:28 PM, February 08, 2007

 
Blogger Rob said...

Maybe the people she's been fighting with over the inheritance did them both in with a super-secret spy poison or something. I bet a gajillion dollars would buy a pretty sophisticated hit...

7:23 AM, February 09, 2007

 
Blogger Gina said...

Isn't it strange how we react to different news. I felt the same way but mostly I feel for the little girl. I think about not knowing your mom...it makes me sad.

9:02 AM, February 09, 2007

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

totally unrelated to anna nicole, have you heard about this story?

2:11 PM, February 09, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

wow--obviously there could be parts to the story not known but on the surface of it, I can't imagine that having a dog there could be dangerous for any of the other students. Seems ridiculous to me---what if the student was blind instead of deaf? Would it seem more necessary? Would they deny it then? It's a unique story and I hope we get to hear how it progresses....Thanks for passing on the link.

and bryan, I thought it was a rather strange coincidence that both A.N.S. and her son died so close together and so unexpectedly. The thought of some sort of conspiracy does cross the mind---after all, simple coincidence is a little less exciting. And I bet you're right about the gajillion dollars.

4:12 PM, February 09, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder if she shall ever be allowed to rest is peace?

6:23 AM, February 10, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I was so sad to hear about this too. I think of her hours of life spent involved in something so meaningless as money, and now a teeny baby has the mess to deal with. I'm sure the psychiatrists are lining up with their business cards outside her basinette. Who IS taking care of her now?

8:47 PM, February 10, 2007

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

This made me really sad too. So much tragedy in one life.

2:26 PM, February 11, 2007

 
Blogger Amy said...

Ok so I was wrong about forgetting them tomorrow... How could this story get any crazier? Any other fathers out there?

10:35 AM, February 13, 2007

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Guess i feel a bit different. I feel for that poor little girl...however, Anna Nicole was a death waiting to happen, no surprise to me at all. She lived lived life in the fast lane and craved the spotlight.
My favorite quote of hers was at her wedding reception when she married the old tycoon, she kissed him on the head and said "See you pookie, i'm off to Paris on our honeymoon, see you when i get back"!

10:13 PM, February 15, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, she definitely wasn't lily-white---no question about that. She seemed to have no moral compass and yet there was something about her that was likeable...a sad end to a sad life.

12:45 AM, February 16, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home