It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Let Me Just Say This

If I survive the raising of a teenager, give me an award. Not because I did anything great or, with wisdom, raised him correctly---no, just because I survived. And this is a kid who isn't particularly a "problem" kid (drugs, alcohol, crime, etc). But the battles over limits, the lack of motivation to get out there and prepare for the future, the fundamental basics of being polite and respectful and aware of others----it becomes draining and discouraging. I feel like I'm doing it all wrong; I feel like there's so much more I should be doing. It's frustrating to see a kid with so many good qualities and such great potential limiting himself by short-sided vision. Let's just live for the moment! Let's just play because work is so boring!

To all parents out there with teenagers, you are not alone. I know lots of you have a great relationship with your teenager, he or she is an amazing kid and responsible and works hard and helps out. To the rest of us with something a little less than that scenario: keep on keepin' on.

(And it isn't always so bad as it probably sounds. We have lots of good times, pleasant conversations, etc. If the less-than-stellar times could just be minimized more and more so the good and profitable, productive times could dominate, that would be primo. Is there some magic solution I don't know about?? I'm sure there are lots of them. Feel free to share.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

sounds to me like you're doing everything right. Try to remember, THIS IS NORMAL for teenagers!! He's NORMAL. How weird is that??

5:50 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Just for clarity: What kind of award do you want? :)

5:52 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You’ll make it. I survived raising two teens. Now they’re both 30-something; however, the oldest grandson will be (God help me) a teen on his next birthday.

6:19 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger jay aitch said...

Well, now............ this is my grandson we are discussing here!!!

7:38 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

I can't even THINK of teenage grandchildren!! and yes, it's a terrible strangeness to think of it all being NORMAL. Good thing for grandparents---they see the good and don't notice the bad (something to look forward to, nick!!)

9:16 PM, May 24, 2007

 
Blogger Rob said...

let me just say this: ditto.

12:29 AM, May 27, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

:)

3:15 PM, May 27, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home