It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Long and Convoluted and Disjointed and Probably Boring

Here are some unconnected and, like I said, rather convoluted stories. They're about a couple of conversations I overheard :

1. At Costco the other day, I became aware that my line was not moving. I realized that several customers ahead of me were two older Chinese women trying to pay for their purchases. They spoke no English, were trying to pay with Mastercard which Costco doesn't take, and couldn't understand why they couldn't buy their merchandise. For probably 15 minutes or more the person at the register tried to explain in various ways that Mastercard was not going to work and that they needed to pay with cash or check or debit card. She probably said DEBIT CARD about 20 times. I'm pretty sure that repeatedly saying a word which a person doesn't understand isn't really going to make the lightbulb go on. Anyway, it started to get a wee bit frustrating and I wondered why the clerk wasn't taking them out of the line to the side and having someone else deal with them while the rest of us DEBIT-paying customers could go on our merry way. Mostly, since I wasn't in a particular hurry, it was a bit comical. The two older women were kind of giggling to each other, though I don't think the clerk or the customers in line were finding it all that amusing. SO. Should they maybe have come with an English-speaking friend? Might've been a little helpful. Were they just visiting? Possibly. Should I be disgusted with them for not speaking English when they're in the United States of America? Probably shouldn't waste my energy.

(If, on the other hand, they are working here and in some sort of customer service position, then yes; I think they should be able to speak and understand English. Like the employee at Ross the other day who couldn't answer my question because she had no idea--none--what I was saying. That was a tiny bit annoying.)

2. The other overheard conversation was between a grocery clerk and some of his friends who were hanging out at the end of the check-out line. They were jabbering away in speedy Spanish, and then the clerk would turn to me and converse in flawless English. The bagger was part of this conversation---Spanish *jabber jabber*; English *jabber jabber*. I was envious of their ability to move so smoothly from the one language to the other. Can I do this? No, I can't.

It made me think of how often people look askance at these "foreigners" since many times their English is broken or flawed. The conclusion is apparently reached that their IQ's must not be very high, and apparently it doesn't matter that English is their second---or maybe even possibly their fifth---language. (In the above case, this doesn't apply. Their English was perfect so there was nothing to indicate that they weren't probably born and raised here like myself. They were probably no more "foreign" than I.)

The thing is, we have it pretty easy here because English is spoken in so many countries. If we visit another country, chances are good that we're going to be able to function just fine because people will most likely be able to speak English. When they are here, English is just one of the several languages that they'll probably be speaking. And just because they're here, for whatever reasons, and they speak with an accent or maybe even broken English, it doesn't make them inferior. It doesn't mean they're stupid. Should some of them be here? Are they legal? Is it right? I don't know the answer to those questions and some of them I don't even have an opinion about. All I know is that I can speak one language. They can speak at least two. Who's the dummy?

13 Comments:

Blogger mreddie said...

I somewhat envy those that are bi or multi-lingual and have always planned to learn another language but evidently the want-to isn't strong enough to get me over to the school. The best I can do is a bit of French - from the two years I was in that country while in the military. ec

6:04 PM, September 04, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

well, that's still something. I've always wanted to know several languages too but I'm not sure I have much of an aptitude for them and now it'd be a monumental effort!

6:51 PM, September 04, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hey there, just dropping by to say hi, and hope you are well.
Hope you have a great week.
Take care, Meow

7:20 PM, September 04, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Heh, i bet i could confuse you by speaking English. Most English speaking countries can't understand aussie slang.

12:13 AM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

now this is true! Also, I've got a friend who's from Ireland and sometimes when he's talking to family members on the phone over there--speaking English--I can't understand one word he says!! Crazy!

12:57 AM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger Twisted DNA said...

I wouldn't be annoyed by people who can't speak English but I would be annoyed if they can't speak English AND rude.

About speaking two languages, I can switch from my mother tongue to English, even without my knowledge :) Human mind is just amazing!

12:04 PM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

twisted---I envy you. I read how you came to learn English---quite impressive!!

6:03 PM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:13 PM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

When I was stationed in Germany, just before my #1 son was born, my now ex-wife and I (we both spoke some German) wanted to purchase one of those German cribs that could be converted into a youth bed. Unsure what it was called, we consulted the English-German dictionary, and then headed for the store. I told the clerk, in my best German, what we were seeking. And she replied, “Please speak English. It will be easier for both of us.”

Maybe we Americans are not meant to be multi-lingual?

9:15 PM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

Yo. ;-) I sent you some mail via yahoo. You won't recognize the e-mail address, so I thought I'd give you a head's up.

11:21 PM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

And Michelle! True! I have a very dear friend in Australia, through a listserve. Every time she uses an Aussie slang word, we beg for translation! Today it was 'Larrikin'.

11:24 PM, September 05, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

lol, nick...perhaps you're right.

11:27 PM, September 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a while and really enjoying it. My husband is Irish. And when I'm with him and his family in Ireland, I'm thinking, "We're all speaking English yet I haven't a clue what they're talking about!" It's not only the language, it's the vernacular--so go figure.

11:59 PM, September 05, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home