It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Stuck In A Rut

I've mentioned recently that I've been in a bit of a funk. Can't really pinpoint why exactly, so maybe that's not where the focus need be. The thing is, I seem to be overwhelmingly disappointed in myself, in who I am and where I am. There are so many things I wish were different about myself that I hardly know where to start. I'm unorganized, undisciplined, unfocused, undirected, unmotivated. Un-everything apparently. I'm not the kind of parent I admire, our family life is more unstructured than not, I don't seem to have any personal structure or focus, I rarely finish anything I start.......and I want to change the direction this ship is heading but I don't know how. I want to become someone organized and structured. I want our family to have routines and order. I want us to spend a Saturday doing something fun instead of sleeping too late, spending hours plopped in front of a computer, spending the rest of the day trying half-heartedly to get some work done around the house and then finding that the day is gone. I want to have energy and be nice and talk kindly and be wise with my children. I'm going to be 40 next year, and I've flunked in every category.

Is this a mid-life crisis??

How unpleasant. I thought I'd get a sports car and dress too young and flirt with all the boys. I thought that's how it worked. Perhaps I can't even manage a mid-life crisis correctly. I'm not quite as glum as I sound. But almost. What a downer! I promise it'll pick up from here.

(And this isn't a bid for compliments. Honestly. What I need here are suggestions for climbing out of the hole.)

11 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ok, this is worth a telephone call, but I'll comment here, too. This is not a Dr. Phil moment. You need more than one comment in passing on this one. First, it's gone on longer than a passing mood....a good therapist might be in order, if I do say so myself?? AS a therapist, I wonder why people resist an experience that can be so totally life changing and wonderful. I wish you 40 more years of feeling OPPOSITE of the way you do today.

8:31 AM, August 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, too many night owls reside in your house.....leave the owls in the trees!
In the "old" days we: washed on Monday, ironed on Tuesday, did yard work on Wednesday, took Thursday off (or took a couple college classes) and cleaned house on Friday. Still works for MH, KB and me. Join www.dinewithoutwhine.com for $4.50 a month and it comes with a grocery list. Give at least one bathroom a quick once over each day; also the kitchen. None of these activities take a whole day and leaves time for family. Just a thought.......

9:43 AM, August 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. The younger generation is aghast at doing laundry only one or two days a week, but it leaves you free from it the rest of the week and it isn't going anywhere. Buy a big hamper for each room and let it set!

9:51 AM, August 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes we think a fantastic change is what we need: as in hiring maids and going back to college for 12 to 15 years to become a brain surgeon. That would be out of reach for most of us. Little simple changes such as establishing a good routine seem so mundane, but they can give a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

1:00 PM, August 13, 2006

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

i think we are on the same planet, here jay are. I *could* throw you a million compliments about your talents and personality, but I won't because I know that feels trite when you are feeling low. So a suggestion? Can you afford to hire an organizer? I know someone who did and you would not believe the difference in their house and general organization. Was a bit of a cathartic experience. Or check out flylady.com she's a cleaning/organizing crazy woman. I think Lisa is right... jay are, you have been in a rut a little too long. There are so many many people who love and care for you, and who are interested in what you have to say... it's important. One more thing? If you feel bad about how you parent, just come to the WalMart where I live and you'll leave feeling like a saint. Yikes. REally yikes-y.

1:31 PM, August 13, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

thanks for all the suggestions and input. Much to think about.

and left coast, I know what you mean about the Walmart perspective. It can be reassuring to realize how bad it CAN be and to see that you're not there yet. But somehow comparing oneself to the lowest common demoninator isn't always all that uplifting, if you know what I mean. :)

1:43 PM, August 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like lisa & lcs have said, this malady does seem to have been going on for too long. i do know how this feels (at least, i know how i've been feeling) and seeking outside help (organizer-type person and a therapist) may help to at least feel like you're jump-starting your life to some semblance of control, and maybe even, order.

i do empathize with you. my own life is spiralling right now. i need to take my own advice (about seeking help) -- i'm better at saying the "right" things than following them...

1:50 PM, August 13, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I’ve been working such long hours the past few months I didn’t realize that you’ve been in a funk. What you describe could be mid-life crisis—or it could be depression. There are a lot of similarities in the two.

May I offer my unprofessional recommendation? If you don’t pull out of the funk in the next couple of weeks, see your MD.

You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

6:44 PM, August 13, 2006

 
Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Wow, you could have written this post for me, I've fallen into a "clean on Saturdays" routine. Sundays are with my mother, so there goes da weekend! Just last week, I shifted my schedule: Tidy up on Thursday eve. Play on Saturday. Still wasn't sure what to do with myself on Saturday, but I made it through without working my hiney off.

I hope you find your answers; keep us posted.

10:02 AM, August 14, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

I've looked into both FlyLady and SideTracked, etal. Both are great. There's still that whole part about having to do it that hangs me up every time.
Thanks again for all the good and helpful input. Little by little, it'll get figured out.

11:21 AM, August 14, 2006

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

You know I've been here before, in this funky place. It's really hard to claw your way up and out. Obviously, I'm no professional, but it sounds familiar enough that I'm compelled to suggest a visit to your family doctor or to a counselor/therapist. Sometimes we just need a leg up, ya know? I'm sending good thoughts your way.....

3:06 PM, August 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home