It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sainthood

I have been sitting in one room of my house, overhearing a discussion in the next room between my husband and my 16-year-old. And can I say that my husband is a saint? They're having a discussion about whether my son should get to play a certain computer game that he wants to play (our boundaries are considerably more restrictive than all of his friends' and he thinks that it's quite unfair, unreasonable and unnecessary). For every two words that my husband says, he is interrupted by derisive comments, ADHD changes of subject, annoying random noises and puffs of disgust. By now I would have either strangled my son or run screaming into the night. And still he sits there, my husband, the voice of reason and patience. In a million years, I'll never attain it.

* I have to add, however, that he (my 16-year-old) has made great strides in his ability to have a conversation, an exchange of ideas. There's still a fair amount of progress to be made, mind you, but I don't want to sell him short.

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Have the same problems here. My daughters friends parents are far more liberal.....creates major headaches in this house!

11:23 PM, August 13, 2006

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Check out Love and Logic; i don't have a teen but their stuff on toddlers is great and the teen stuff seems interesting. I LOVE when my husband can fill in where I can't pull it together... Yours, however, wins the level-head award.

12:24 AM, August 14, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

Love and Logic has excellent benefits, I agree. Another good one for these years is "Yes, Your Teen Is Crazy" which tells you that there's no point in trying to have a logical conversation with someone who's temporarily crazy. :)

11:19 AM, August 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No mystery here......he is a teenager! And I love him, rascal though is can be...

12:00 PM, August 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant 'rascal, though he CAN be' excuse error. : )

12:01 PM, August 14, 2006

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Agreed. Your husband is a saint. For sure. (You ain't so bad either. While you're not selling the son short, how 'bout trying not to sell yourself short while you're at it?)

1:38 PM, August 14, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Every family sets their own boundaries, and our kids should be aware of what they are, and just live with it !! Unfortunately, others out there may not be as strict (or perhaps stricter) than ourselves, so it makes life awkward at that moment. Kids get over it, and so do we parents.
Your hubby sounds like a wonderful man, and it is great he has so much patience ... don't know that mine would !!
As well as not wanting to sell your son short, don't sell yourself short either. You are a good mum. You do what you gotta do.
Have a wonderful week.
Take care, Meow

7:53 PM, August 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home