It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What Will You Tell Your Kids About Britney's Sister?

This was a headline I saw today on cnn.com. And it made me so glad once again that I don't really have to worry about these kinds of problems: what I'll tell my kids about Britney Spears' younger 16-yr-old sister becoming pregnant by her boyfriend. Not because it isn't an important discussion to have; not because it isn't of value to discuss why these kinds of choices and behaviors aren't the best. But because without a t.v. in the house, they don't even know who she is. They barely know who Britney Spears is. And this is okay with me. I know that some people think we're close to child abusers because we don't have a television set sucking up what's left of our kids' brain cells (after monitored computer games and hours of numbing homework). And I'm sure that, yes, there are very good and educational things to see on t.v. I'm sure that's true. And I'm sure that we're being completely and utterly deprived of some great entertainment. I guess I'll pass anyway; thanks, though.

So I guess this is just a brief plug for no t.v. and one of its many benefits.

7 Comments:

Blogger jay aitch said...

The benefits will manifest themselves for many years to come! And they are too numerous to count!

4:27 PM, December 19, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I agree. The discovery channel and Animal planet might seem beneficial, but the things that come with it seem to just rot those easily-persuaded brains!

8:27 PM, December 19, 2007

 
Blogger Blogball said...

My 12 year old daughter watches her show ( Zoey 101) all the time on the Nickelodeon channel.
It’s actually a clean cut fun show to watch. So I was very disappointed when I heard this news because of all of the young girls that look up to her and emulate her.

My daughter’s reaction was something like ….. Well she always said she is nothing like her sister but it must be hard to be in a family like that. Now it looks like she might turn out to be just as messed up as her sister.
So I guess this was a pretty good reaction. She showed some empathy but knows it’s a not the right thing to do.

12:01 PM, December 20, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, it sounds like she has a clear picture of the wrongness of it and that it's disappointing behavior. Congratulations, Dad! You and Mom are doin' a good job.

12:34 PM, December 20, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Life can be so much simpler without a TV!

3:30 AM, December 21, 2007

 
Blogger unca said...

Britney Spears' sister? I'm still trying to get over Eddie Fisher running off with Elizabeth Taylor.

10:17 AM, December 23, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, Jay Are!

May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas. (A Celtic toast)

6:55 PM, December 24, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home