It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

And The Earth Shook

We had an earthquake here tonight---a 5.6. Not enormous but definitely enough to feel. It was the first one that any of my kids had felt--the youngest was a bit freaked out but the two older ones thought it was quite cool. Um...I don't know if cool is really the word that comes to my mind but it's a bit awe-inspiring. You think that surely it's done now but no...keeps going. Anyway. No reports of injuries anywhere or damage. Wasn't the big one....but a little reminder that it could come someday.

Which brings me to survival methods. There's a theory called "Triangle of Life" which is interesting and possibly life-saving. Unfortunately, it's been discredited by the American Red Cross. They strongly hold to the "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" method. It's a mystery for sure. When the big one hits we're going to be running back and forth underneath stuff, beside it, in the fetal position, under a doorway....who knows. I just hope when it hits I'm visiting the east coast or something (where I'll likely be caught in a tornado or blizzard or some such thing). Most of us prefer the catastrophe we know, I guess.

At any rate, a little reminder that life is unpredictable and uncertain and that we're definitely not in charge--no matter how much we might like to think we are.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earthquakes freak me right out. The biggest one I remember in my life here was when my son was 3 months old. He was in his swing, and suddenly, it was swinging the wrong way! *shudder* The whole house was shaking and I was trying to unbuckle him from the swing and get to a doorway. I'm so glad there aren't reports of injuries or damage from yours!

11:11 AM, October 31, 2007

 
Blogger Amy said...

The triangle theory is very interesting, makes a lot of sense really. I wonder why they discounted it.

6:15 PM, October 31, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I’ll trust the “Triangle of Life” theory. If cats do it, that’s a good enough recommendation for me.

7:01 PM, October 31, 2007

 
Blogger jay aitch said...

We can't predict where the next one will hit, but we can sure see where it was after it is over.
http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

10:57 PM, October 31, 2007

 
Blogger si said...

heard about the quake -- my sister felt it in the east bay. my aunt used to live in the area (i think).

i thot the "triangle of life" seemed reasonable/sensible too.

and formerly ddm: (if you come back to this post) miss you!

6:36 PM, November 01, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

We even felt that, and I threw an irritated look at my youngest, thinking he'd been kicking the couch, when I realized the force of his kicks wouldn't also make the ceiling light and fan swing. It is good to remind ourselves we're out of control, though- you have such a great perspective on life.

12:51 PM, November 02, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Hi si! Miss you too!!*

10:40 AM, November 05, 2007

 
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

I'm so mad the triangle of life got discounted!!! What's up with that? Did they say why?

10:13 AM, November 14, 2007

 
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Oh, I just actually followed your link, and I see that they say that the Triangle of Life guy based his findings on observations made after an earthquake in Turkey, and that buildings in the U.S. do not tend to "pancake" as they do in other countries, because of U.S. building codes. Hmmm!

10:20 AM, November 14, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home