It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Weight Of Education

The other day I weighed my sixth grader's backpack. It weighed in at a hefty 33 pounds. Thirty-three pounds!! It's ridiculous for a kid to be hauling around 33 pounds of books and crud, ruining his back in the process. So then we went to the rolling backpack, which dismayed my senior because it's so uncool. I do see a lot more rolling backpacks now than when he was a sixth-grader so I don't think there's quite the stigma attached as there once was. And you have to consider how cool it's going to be to have major back problems by the time you hit your 20s. It'll be really cool to be all hunched over by 25.

The problem is, the rolling backpack lasts about a week (at the hands of a sixth-grader). Because it often twists about when going over bumps or whatnot, it then gets dragged briefly on its side which tears up the side edges. From the looks of my son's backpack, I think that maybe he just pulls it exclusively on its side, thereby saving on the wear and tear of the wheels. I'm not sure.

At any rate, the sides are now not connected to the bottom and it's only a matter of time before it rips more and stuff starts to come out. He'll be leaving a little trail everywhere he goes. Lovely. More lovely than that, even, is that we tried duct tape. Yep. What a pretty sight that was. That lasted for about a day before the tape curled up and it now looks worse than the original open-air look. Back to the drawing board. Here's what we really need (excuse the crude, caveman-like drawing):


That's right. We need wheels all around the entire backpack. That way, no matter how much it might fall to its side or get twisted around, it can just be rolled from that position. Perfect! I think I'm onto something here.


(I know the artwork is startling in its precision and beauty. I think I should switch careers. My job as an artist, as you can see, will pay about as much as my current job: nothing).

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

33 pounds is atrocious! I’ve seen carrying cases with 4 wheels in office supply stores.

4:13 PM, October 14, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out Zuca bags! They're amazing!

9:12 AM, October 15, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

that is so weird!! I just, not 10 minutes ago, was at a luggage store and saw a Zuca bag for the first time and thought: "this is absolutely perfect". No way on earth for anything to get ripped, plus there's tons of space inside. The problem is, they're not exactly free and they're a little interesting-looking so I'm not sure how much that impacts the "cool" factor, if you know what I mean. But they definitely address the issues I raised. Hmmmm.....gotta consider it for sure. Thanks for passing that on.

12:07 PM, October 15, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

33 pounds?!!?? What does HE weigh, about 40? Uf. WHat does he have in that thing that he must needs take to and fro like that? I'm from the days whenyou could have a locker at school, so I guess that saved my back (at least until pregnancy ruined it)... good luck with that!

12:49 PM, October 15, 2007

 
Blogger mreddie said...

It sounds like he needs one with military armor - of course those would eventually tear up with the rough treatment. My grandson, the kindergartener, has started already carrying a backpack - his back may not make 3rd grade. :) ec

2:04 PM, October 15, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, it's crazy. Books books and more books. Apparently you don't get to have a locker in third grade (nor in kindergarten :)) and so you have to haul all your books all the time. Nor are there funds to have a copy in class and a copy for home. THUS....pretty crazy. I'm going to try to sell him on the Zuca, but it's a bit odd looking so I'm not sure if it's gonna fly.

3:27 PM, October 15, 2007

 
Blogger Blogball said...

My daughter has always had the rolling back pack along with everybody else in the school. It’s just one of those things that’s expected so the kids can bring home a ton of homework everyday. Don’t get me started. That’s another story. Anyway we have had good luck with LL Bean (http://www.llbean.com/) it’s the Rolling Super Deluxe Book Pack model. Around $80.00 but it should last the whole year and then some. They will replace it free of charge no questions asked if there is any wear or tear.

11:48 AM, October 16, 2007

 
Blogger Rob said...

i just want to go on record as saying i think your picture is awesome in its simplicity an effectiveness in communicating what is needed. plus it makes me smile in an "i feel good right now" way.

1:07 PM, October 16, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

thanks, bryan. always glad to bring a smile. I have other artwork that could probably even make you laugh right out loud. :)

and thanks, blogball for the tip. I'll look into it. I wonder if boys are maybe a bit harder on stuff than girls. Hard to say.

1:31 PM, October 16, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home