It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Perfect Day

Last night my family held a surprise birthday party for me. I thought that it was just going to be my family and my brother-in-law and his kids going down to my folks' house for tacos (a Saturday night tradition) along with my brother's family and a couple who are visiting from out of town that I've known most of my life. It was just going to be a nice Saturday evening of visiting and chowing down.

Before this said party, my brother's wife treated the two of us to pedicures and manicures---an early birthday present for me. It was a perfect way to spend the afternoon, a perfect gift! I had a great time with her, she went on ahead of me to my mom and dad's and I followed after, stopping to get some ice for dinner. So when I arrived I walked on in, calling out, "Knock knock". But before I could get the second "knock" out of my mouth, my brain scrambled to figure out what I was seeing and what it meant: a living room full of people facing me, shouting out "Surprise!" And a surprise it was, indeed. I had no idea anything had been planned. For however long, my husband and mom and sister-in-law and everyone else had managed to not give any hint. I was quite impressed.

Anyway. It was a perfect amount of people for this mostly-nonsocial person and I had one of the most enjoyable birthdays ever.

The best part is that it isn't even my birthday yet--not until Wednesday--so I get to stretch my fun!

Thanks everyone!

15 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Yay for birthdays! Yay for surprises! And when you start early your birthday can last at least a week or so!! Enjoy!

5:59 PM, July 22, 2007

 
Blogger mreddie said...

So glad for your happy surprise and yay for being able to draw it out a few days! Happy Birthday ahead of time. ec

9:07 PM, July 22, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Happy Birthday! How great that the surprise stayed a surprise!! (And nothing like a pedicure and manicure to make a person feel sumptious!)

9:46 PM, July 22, 2007

 
Blogger jay aitch said...

Yes, remember folks; this is the big 4-0 for Jay Are! Wednesday, July 25!!!

12:43 AM, July 23, 2007

 
Blogger Gina said...

Nothing like your mom telling the number of years for the whole world to know. ;) Have a wonderful day! Better make it a wonderful week. I always say it's my birthday month, since mine is the last day of the month.

7:42 AM, July 23, 2007

 
Blogger prrrof said...

And as we say around our parts, "Your birthday is ON!" May the celebrations continue!

8:36 AM, July 23, 2007

 
Blogger si said...

hey happy b-day! in advance, right? well, my sister believes she's entitled to a b-day month, so i think a b-day week is more than okay...

7:23 PM, July 23, 2007

 
Blogger Crystal said...

Happy Birthday!

You should totally send thank you notes to people who didn't get you a present. Then their guilt will force them to buy you a super cool present and tell you that they had forgotten it at home on the night or your birthday or that you had ordered it from Amazon 2 weeks ago and it still isn't here dammit!

11:24 AM, July 24, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

lol! I didn't think of that angle. Perfect! thanks for the tip, crystal.

11:40 AM, July 24, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a "lurker" but just had to say Crystal's tip was quite hilarious! I do enjoy the creativity and humor in your blog......both posts and comments.
And Happy Birthday!

11:54 AM, July 24, 2007

 
Blogger Amy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

5:41 AM, July 25, 2007

 
Blogger jay aitch said...

Yes! Happy 40th birthday today, July 25!!! This day is in honor of a little blonde-haired girl who grew up to be a wonderful mother to her boys! Life hasn't treated you real well at times, but you have faced it head-on! May you have at LEAST 40 MORE BIRTHDAYS!!!

10:55 AM, July 25, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

ah, mom, thanks. I'll pay you later. :)

3:35 PM, July 25, 2007

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

3:13 PM, July 26, 2007

 
Blogger Dx said...

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Jay Are
Happy birthday to you

Hip Hip...

8:21 AM, August 01, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home