It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Friday, July 20, 2007

Here's One For Miss Manners

Yesterday I received the nicest little thank-you note in the mail. It was from one of our friends' daughters in this area who recently graduated. She thanked me for the nice graduation gift and how much she likes the journal. She thanked me for being interested in her life, etc.

I didn't get her a gift.

Not only that, I didn't even get her a card.

What a loser I am. So now there's several problems: I'm being thanked for something I didn't do, thus stealing the glory and credit from someone else. I'll now have to explain the situation and stumble over the awkward realization that will dawn upon her that 1) it wasn't me and 2) I didn't even acknowledge her graduation.

Who do you suppose will feel worse and more embarrassed?

I pick me.

8 Comments:

Blogger jay aitch said...

Well, I didn't get her anything yet, either, so thanks for the reminder, but you could come 'bearing gifts!' Bring a nice little gift to her with the thank you card and humbly tell her that wasn't you. (How embarrassing.)

2:14 PM, July 20, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, makes the whole gift from me look obligatory then, etc. sigh.

2:20 PM, July 20, 2007

 
Blogger prrrof said...

I'd say it's a no-win situation, for sure. But a journal--that's a good idea. I'd *wish* it'd been from me :)

3:30 PM, July 20, 2007

 
Blogger Blogball said...

Tell her the gift was a mistake. Make her return the journal to you at once. Then you will be truthful to the fact that you didn’t get her anything for her graduation and feel much better plus you will get a free journal to boot.

“You’re Welcome” in advance

5:09 PM, July 20, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

lol...hey thanks, blogball. For a second I thought Miss Manners had actually commented on my blog, but then I saw it was you. Cool.

5:35 PM, July 20, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You can always send her a journal anonymously.

7:20 PM, July 20, 2007

 
Blogger Rob said...

I think it's pretty much a given that you'll *both* feel dumb even tho neither one of you deserves to.
Maybe you could pretend you have, like, belly button cancer or something, and then a magic fairy comes and offers you the chance to live after all but all you have to do is get thru a misunderstanding about a grad present.
Then you'd be all "Wow, this is easy!"
Or something. Okay, maybe that's no help at all, but I did want you to know that you're not a bad person. I mean, because of the present thing at least...

2:59 AM, July 21, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

:) thanks, bryan...I think I'll try the belly button cancer perspective.

I feel better already!

3:36 AM, July 21, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home