It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Once Upon A Time

there was a young girl who lived with her mother, her father, her brother, and a whole bunch of chickens. Every day she would help collect the eggs, which was always a lesson in self-defense and the odds of luck vs. skill. One of the chickens out of the bunch became her pet and he followed her all around, kind of like Mary's lamb or Fern's Wilbur. She called him Hickety-Pickety. They were good buddies.

BUT came the day that it was time for chickens to head to the butcher. Don't ask me why. It's not like this was a farm in the middle of nowhere and the family had to live off the chickens. But at any rate, it was chicken harvest time and the young girl was incensed that Hickety-Pickety was headed for the gallows as well. His being a friend of the family didn't seem to give him amnesty. I don't know if there were tears or not---I scarce remember--but one thing was determined: the girl vowed never to eat her old friend Hickety-Pickety. Her parents complied and they carefully wrote Hickety's name on the outside of the butcher paper. Being 10, it made perfect sense that a chicken went directly from the hand of the butcher to its stiff white paper prison. It never occurred to her, apparently, that there'd be no way to keep track of one dead chicken from another.

Months passed. Whenever chicken was served, the girl sped to the freezer, flung open the door and confirmed that Hickety was still safely wrapped and stored, spared from knife and fork, at least, if not from the indignity of an unheroic death.

I don't know what finally prompted the girl to one day check the contents of the Hickety package. Imagine her horror when she realized it was empty....just a white, paper shell with the words "Hickety-Pickety" now nothing but a mockery. Talk about shock! Oh, the agony! She'd been hoodwinked AND she'd broken her promise.

I wonder if that was a defining moment. If it had any lasting impact. I don't know how she finally reconciled the"damage" done. Perhaps the pain of the discovery lingered and festered for awhile; maybe she forgot about it by the following week. I guess it couldn't have been too horrible an aftermath since I don't really remember it; the trauma must've been minor or else I blocked it from my mind. Maybe that's what's wrong with me??

At any rate, it was an early important lesson about life: what's on the outside isn't necessarily indicative of what's on the inside.

17 Comments:

Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

Loved this!

6:05 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay Are: I thought this EXACT same thing happened to me, except with my pet rabbit. Is it possible I just picked up the story from you and thought it happened to me? That would be what's called a "folie a deux", a mental disorder that one person gets simply because they are in such close contact with another person who has the disorder. Hmmmmm. Maybe we should go to therapy TOGETHER. haha.

6:39 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

yeah, a couple of crazies trying to help each other--a sure recipe for success! Haha...my hubby has some of those false memories, too---things that happened to his brother that he always thought were HIS experiences. Weird. But it's not to say we couldn't BOTH have been duped--you with your rabbit and me with the ole chick.

7:31 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great story. Thanks for sharing: I think I'll incorporate a variation of it in a future sermon.

9:01 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Blogger si said...

great story! liked the "moral" -- didn't see that coming.

we had chickens too and i was tasked to collect the eggs. i remember i had a specific basket but not much else. (i was like 3-4.) nothing traumatic happened that i recall (or have false memory of). knowing how i was, i was probably scared to death of the chickens and never wanted to have anything to do with them, much less have bonding moments. :) (my b-i-l says that my sister and i are the least likely people he knows to have grown up in the country.)

9:32 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

smile......brought back old memories. ha. just seemed so merciful to spare you the pain...

10:03 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Hey this is super! A wee bit of deja vu for me :o)

10:21 PM, December 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those false memories happen to me, too. I was, like, totally positive I had honeymooned with Cindy Crawford, and then it turned out I had just imagined it...

7:17 AM, December 11, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

I hate when that happens.

8:27 AM, December 11, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, my DH says that he thinks, based on our family, that this DID happen to both of us! One of our parents did it and thought it was such a GREAT idea, that they told the other parents to try it!! Sounds plausible to me. Then again, I could SWEAR I had breakfast with George Clooney...

8:44 AM, December 11, 2006

 
Blogger Crystal said...

i ate my cow, pat.
she was a model face cow so she looked like she had freckles. i have freckles. we had freckles together. and then i ate her and didn't know it.

i feel your pain, sister, i feel your pain.

8:48 AM, December 11, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

Wow - that would be enough to make a person blog!! My older bro had a similiar experience - he raised rabbits and since he couldn't sell any, my Dad started cooking them up for meals, times were hard. My bro never ate a single bite of any of them. ec

7:18 PM, December 11, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is poor Hickety Pickety..

6:27 PM, December 14, 2006

 
Blogger unca said...

Great post and very touching. It's also a great story and I can see it being told as part of a sermon but I'm not quite sure (other than things are not what they seem on the outside)where the greater moral is.

7:02 PM, December 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The moral is: Keep track of your chickens ... or roosters or whatever the case may be...

11:10 PM, December 14, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

and don't count them before they're hatched...and don't eat them before they're unwrapped. Or something.

11:42 PM, December 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at this lesson as someone going through life masquerading as someone trustworthy. However after closer examination you find out this is not true at all. So don’t be fooled by the clothes or symbols someone wears until you examine the real person underneath.

10:12 AM, December 15, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home