It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Toto, We're Not In California Anymore

So tonight I went with my friend and her family to Cheyenne, Wyoming where her husband was going to play his basketball game and we were going to watch. It was about a 45-minute drive and on the way, 50-mile-an-hour winds played tag with the truck. We arrived, parked, and out I stepped into the anti-California. The wind was quite fierce and I felt like somebody had unzipped me and poured Cold straight into my bones. It was freezing (to a wimpy Californian).

We scampered inside and settled ourselves. Shortly some friends arrived, blown into the gym like as we, and sat beside us. The following statement was made (without any irony), much to my disbelief:

"It's so windy outside!" this local exclaimed. "But at least it's not cold."

I think I might be the only sane person for miles.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah the spoiled Californian!!! (of which, admittedly, I am one). Call me nuts, but I think SEASONS are kind of cool. This is something we know nothing about!!!

7:47 AM, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger bronxbt said...

yeah.... um, you used one of my fav words in a sentence.... so i lurve you.


*scamper*

- snicker.... HI there! it's been awhile! I gotsomenewposts on my many sites if you want some laughs to vote on (fuzziechadsrule) or a new page of restored art, etc (somethinsketchy)

for the record, my stuff on cardboardpeople is still boring.'
giggle

enjoy your weekend

B

8:00 AM, November 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But California is still the best and I've lived 'everywhere.' :D

10:50 AM, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Seasons are completely overrated. There's nothing to beat an 85 degree November day!! (;

4:17 PM, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

It seems that cold is many different things to many different people. :) Even heard people debate 'dry cold' and 'wet cold' - it still is cold to me if I'm not used to it. ec

7:45 PM, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I know you must have drive east, but did you also drive up to a higher altitude?

High above the howling winds
Is the music of the spheres
Which only the quiet dreamer
And the crazy man hears.
At last I walk on still high upon my dreams.
Oh, yes, my friends, it is much later than it seems....

~ Darlene (I don’t know her surname)

4:41 PM, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger si said...

always a little surprised at *weather* elsewhere, especially in the mountain areas. winds, in particular, are much "breezier" than we're used to.

also, this is a sad statement of my geography knowledge (or lack thereof) but is cheyenne, WY very close to where you're staying in CO? i'm really bad with states in relation to each other.

hope you're having fun (and able to stay warm)!

4:31 PM, November 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home