It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Boys Will Be Boys....Sometimes Forever Apparently

Since my two youngest had the day off from school (some sort of teacher learning day??), I took them to a new skateboard park that we discovered near our home. They were in seventh heaven (I, however, was only in about first heaven because it was rather cold, and though my book was good, after two hours I'd had enough already.)

What was interesting was that of the approximately 30 guys skateboarding (and the one rather cute chicky), only maybe 8 of them were 14 and under. The rest of them looked to be in their 20s and a couple of them even older. It was mid-day, 12:30-ish and on.....why weren't these guys working? Or in school? There they were, hanging around, sitting against the wall, watching their friends, occasionally skateboarding, sitting back down. Hours of this. It didn't seem to be the pool from which to pick the next rocket scientists really. However, that is just a surface observation, and I'm sure many of them are quite smart. Some of them were even good at skateboarding. And all of them seemed very nice. They were friendly to my boys and talked to them as equals. I admit, however, to having strong feelings along this line: I hope my boys aren't spending their days skateboarding when they're that age. Please let them be pursuing something more "meaningful", more intellectually stimulating.

Does that make me a snob? *sigh* Probably.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmmm, maybe they are air traffic controllers on their mid-week days off????? hee hee.

8:10 AM, November 02, 2006

 
Blogger Andi said...

I usually view it as job security for when i'm in my 50s/60s--very little competition coming up.

8:36 AM, November 02, 2006

 
Blogger SoozeSchmooze said...

I don't suppose they just looked older than they were?? perhaps they are just avid athletes striving to keep their balance and stay in shape?? ah well...

5:43 PM, November 02, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

Nothing wrong in wanting something meaningful for your kids - not snobbish at all to me. ec

7:40 PM, November 02, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a bumper sticker from when I was much younger..."Skate or Die Dude" It's often a way of life like surfing. Though if I had to choose then it would be surfing everytime.
Lucky for your boys you are teaching them other things far more important than skating all day. I think you are safe. :)

9:42 PM, November 02, 2006

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Oooh, you don't have dreams of adult skater children? You snob you. Ha! Your kids' brains are way too busy to settle on just rolling around on a little board for the rest of their adulthood... you can be sure they'll do something meaningful.

11:29 PM, November 02, 2006

 
Blogger Rob said...

i wish i were a slacker -- i mean skater -- it sure looks relaxing...

1:05 AM, November 04, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right outside our offices are very enticing concrete half-walls and handrails. tho barriers have been installed, somehow skaters are still managing to use them as launch areas. and most of them are at least late-teens, some a little older. i get to watch them out my window and i'm with you on the snobbery, i'm thinking.

12:35 PM, November 04, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home