It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Friday, October 13, 2006

An Uncommon Enemy

So I've gotten to where, when I see my sleep machine (CPAP machine), I want to kick it. It's become the enemy in a way. I try to use it, it bothers me all night, I fuss and fiddle with it....and often I wind up not using it after all. My two options seem to be: 1) not use my machine and sleep all night without waking up BUT not get any decent quality of sleep. Or 2) use (TRY to use) my machine, wake up throughout the night to adjust something but possibly get decent quality of sleep in the times I'm sleeping. I can't decide which one to go with. Last night I couldn't seem to get past the mental claustraphobia of having everything on me. Usually I'm so tired I'm able to just fall asleep and bypass the mental game.

SO...Nothing seems to work and I can feel the effects of it all eventually. Tiredness, headaches, disconnected feeling with everything around me, lack of patience.....the list goes on. I've tried a different mask, I've tried a chin strap----let me tell ya, you feel REALLY attractive with everything on----but nothing's been the magic combination. I'm sick of being tired. I'm sick of something as natural as sleeping, for cryin' out loud, being so hard to manage. Somebody should just shoot me I guess and put me out of everybody's misery.

*Sigh*

9 Comments:

Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

ACK! Our good friend just got his machine, and slept through the night last night for the first time in months. I understand that they're helpful in that the quality of sleep improves. But? How could it NOT be intrusive?? I'm so sorry you're struggling with that behemoth machine, and not getting restful sleep. Can you take Melatonin or diphenhydramine to knock you out initially and get you over the discomfort?

10:58 AM, October 13, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

actually, that might not be a bad idea. I know some people do that, and I'm not above trying drugs when necessary! Nosiree! :)

12:31 PM, October 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ambien, baby!!! :)

2:33 PM, October 13, 2006

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I would seriously consider medication if that gets you a night of good sleep... maybe even get over the mental games, who knows? I imagine that with the machine on you feel as lovely as the drawing your niece did of you... (: Talk to you doctor or whomever. Sleep is underappreciated. Esp when you are responsible for kiddos.

2:42 PM, October 13, 2006

 
Blogger Amy said...

Benadryl is a great suggestion! Good luck!

6:42 PM, October 13, 2006

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

Melatonin is the more 'natural' sleep remedy because it is the sleep hormone you already have in your body. Diphenhydramine (the chemical name of Benadryl) is an excellent sleep aid, but you may have some grogginess in the morning. (I was a pharmacy tech in a previous life) I personally don't like prescription sleep aids, simply because I've never needed anything stronger than the OTC meds, and I've seen far too many customers go down a slippery slope with some of them.

11:31 PM, October 13, 2006

 
Blogger Rob said...

Have you tried a couple glasses of bourbon before turning in? I'm recommending that...

1:29 AM, October 14, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Wow, I can imagine how annoying the machine would be ... have heard of people feeling claustrophobic with them !! Hope you get it sorted, though, as I'm sure the eventual great night sleep will be worth it.
Take care, good luck, Meow

1:43 AM, October 14, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

I really feel for you, my wife went down that path and finally opted for surgery - even that was not magic, but she does sleep better - and so do I. ec

9:52 AM, October 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home