It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Virtually Virtual

This age of computers and virtual realities and vitual neighbors is so amazing. And sometimes so strange to navigate. What are the rules? Where are the lines? What is real? What isn't? Do you know a person or don't you? Are they real or have they just invented the persona you "know"? It's an interesting and sometimes odd new frontier.

For instance, let's say that you play online Scrabble. Let's just pick that, for example. You play people from all around the world. It can be very interesting to hear where a person's from and what's going on at the moment where they are. And then you have regulars that you play. Their histories are interesting, sometimes extremely so. You get to "know" them, what they do, if they have kids, how old, what they like, what they don't. So they feel like friends. It seems like you know them, and maybe in ways you know them better than some people they see every day. It's sometimes easier to reveal things about yourself to a faceless person who's never going to meet you or actually know you in "real" life.

But here's a drawback or at least a twist in the whole thing: Let's say that all of a sudden one of those people disappears. You don't hear from them. Time passes and they're just...gone. Into cyberspace. Lost in the ether. And you realize that by being only a virtual friend, you'll never know what happened to them. Wouldn't that be strange? It'd be a weird feeling. Hey! A whole new field of psychiatry has opened up! Cyber withdrawal.

Like I said---new frontiers.

9 Comments:

Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

I like this post a lot. I think the cyberpal world is a little scary... even blogging has its drawbacks as far as not hearing from someone for a while.... Do they hate my blog now, are they recuping at a treatment center, did tehy die in a fiery car accident? I like part of this fantasy-real world, because you can almost be more honest with those you "meet" (sorry about that "-", I think that's an appropriate usage). But it's not real in a personal real sense, so it's a bit equilibrium-shaking. Since I know you needed my input.

9:20 PM, September 28, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

I agree...it's a rather strange feelings---not real, real, not real, real.

10:34 PM, September 28, 2006

 
Blogger CC said...

You should definitely check out this if you haven't:
http://postsecret.blogspot.com

12:02 AM, September 29, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

It is very frustrating when you've been blogging with someone, and suddenly they are no longer there ... no reason, no goodbye, no way of contacting ... yep, that'd be cyber withdrawal !!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Take care, Meow

7:00 AM, September 29, 2006

 
Blogger Lisa said...

I know...it's totally bizarre. A blogger I used to read just stopped blogging....is he dead? in jail? Was he a pedophile? A murderer? ha. I mean, we could be anyone, really. Love the postsecrets site, happy mask!! Trying to think of which of my juicy secrets I want to send in!!!!!

8:39 AM, September 29, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

postsecret is fun...sometimes sad.
And Cyber pals are cool, though there should be a rule about disappearing.

12:33 PM, September 29, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

I have had that happen as well - suddenly someone stops blogging and you have no idea what happened. And I agree with you, we shouldn't be allowed to just disappear without some sort of explanation. :) ec

12:39 PM, October 01, 2006

 
Blogger Rob said...

Well, I've been your cyber-pal, and I wish to state that I'm not dead yet.
When I *do* die I hope it's in a fiery crash so it will be like a totally cool adventure, but for now I'm still alive.
("He's not dead -- he's just resting...")

3:40 AM, October 07, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

well, glad to know you're still in the land of the living (if one were to go by your blog for reference, one might sometimes wonder)....and I'm sure a fiery car crash would be, uh, a most excellent adventure indeed.

8:43 AM, October 07, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home