It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Til ALL The Wells Run Dry

My 16-yr-old seems to think that 15-20 minute showers every morning are normal. The other day, after listening again to the water run for eternity, I rapped on the door.

"Hey, you need to turn off the water and be done with your shower!"

"What? It's been 15 minutes."

Exactly!

Who on earth needs to take a 15 minute shower every. single. morning? Am I crazy? Seems to me that 15-20 minute showers are for after an unusually big workout and you're tired, achy, etc. Or you've been digging in the dirt for hours and you're dirty and you need to scrub off a mountain of earth. I don't know. I mean, even allowing for the shaving of le legs (which my 16-yr-old son doesn't do), I can't see the need for an excess of 10 minutes.

Am I way off base here?

9 Comments:

Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

That boy that is staying with me takes eternally long showers also. Try turning on the washing machine and dishwasher at the same time.

12:55 PM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger Crystal said...

do i really need to tell you what 16 year old boys do in the shower?

this reminds me of a joke someone sent me the other day:

A father walks into his son's room and says, "Quit doing that! You'll go blind!" and the son says, "Hey, Dad, I'm over here."

2:31 PM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger Lisa said...

I don't think you're way off base. I'm just wondering if it's a battle that's worth your energy. Really, in the scheme of all things, isn't this one small enough to let go?? (I only say this for YOUR sake, not his!!)

2:35 PM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

very funny, crystal. And it didn't really require too much guesswork as to the WHY, but honestly....maybe when he gets to pay the water bill, going blind won't be so appealing. :)
that is a funny joke, though.

3:06 PM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Was there a time when you son refused to wash his hands or face as there was for my sons? When they willingly began to take an interest in their self-care—including 20 minute showers—I celebrated!

And Crystal, I think long baths are more to the point for that activity that showers: the Playboy magazine gets too wet in the shower and falls apart.

8:41 PM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

The teen years are really a nutso time of life - wouldn't want to go back there if I could. What gnightgirl suggested might work if you alternated those with flushing a couple of commodes. :) ec

10:02 PM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

Err. Ummm. *Ahem*. How to say this.......
It's not about washing in the shower when you're a 16 year old boy. Heck, it's not about washing in the shower when you're a 33 year old man.
I'm just sayin'.....
And do you need CPR now that you've addressed that image?

10:34 PM, September 13, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh god i just read Crystals post, crap, i wish i hadn't!

11:11 PM, September 14, 2006

 
Blogger Rob said...

I have to agree with Crystal. It starts when we're about 12, and lasts till... well, till we're dead, I guess.

9:15 AM, September 18, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home