It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Rude Awakening

Because of sleep apnea, I'm supposed to sleep with a machine. I've had little luck in finding a mask that works (for those of you with sleep apnea, you know what I mean; if you don't, it's too boring to go into). Needless to say, I don't get great sleep, like I've mentioned before. Well, now that I have this never-ending cough and cold, I can't use the mask anyway and so I'm getting little sleep between the coughing and the oxygen deprivation. Sometimes I feel like I hover all night just on the edges of sleep; other times I feel like I'm unconscious and have no memory of anything in the times that I'm asleep. It was this kind of unconscious sleep I was in the other night, apparently, when I had the rudest of awakenings. While asleep, I must've decided I needed a drink of water, but at some point from the side table to my mouth, my brain must've fallen back asleep and forgotten about the whole drink thing. This is my guess. Because the next thing I know, I'm leaping out of bed, drenched in water, with a fairly small lake gathering underneath me. I was holding the empty glass, so I couldn't really blame it on anyone else. I yelped a warning to my husband and we gathered up the bedding and were able to get it up before the lake hit the mattress. I was fairly soaked and the bedding was a goner, so we got to change the sheets in the middle of the night. Such fun.

Now when I go to sleep, I eye my glass of water suspiciously, I check to make sure there are no sharp objects near me---nothing that could unknowingly become a weapon or something---and I wonder what the night will bring.

6 Comments:

Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

And here I thought wet beds would be a thing of the past when my kids pass toddlerhood... now I have me to worry about?? (; Can't imagine liviing with a cold AND sleep apnea. And you don't drink coffee, right?? Jay Are is amazing again.

2:33 PM, December 09, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

Lots of Diet Coke :)

2:43 PM, December 09, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That WAS a rude awakening. As one who has sleep apnea and has be using a C-PAP for about 15 years, I have learned that the simpler the mask the better. I’ve spent as much as $300.00 on “comfort masks,” some of which were so complex that it too an engineering degree to figure out how to get in—and out—of them. The mask I’m using now cost $50.00, is extremely simple and comfortable, and I bought it on-line.

2:47 PM, December 09, 2006

 
Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Wow, that would be a mid-night shocker! Making sure there are no weapons on the nightstand made me laugh, even thought it's a very good point! Get a sippy cup.

I used to wake up in the middle of the room, running to answer doorbells that only rang in my crazy head. Very disorienting, trying to figure out then, if the doorbell really rang...looking out the peephole, then going back to bed.

8:33 AM, December 10, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

Any rude awakening is a bummer, not only do you have to figure out what happened, then it takes a while to get relaxed enough to get back to sleep. ec

10:40 AM, December 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would behoove your husband to make one last check for weapons before you fall asleep. Wouldn't want to think about what'd happen if you dreamed about an Ann Rice novel...

6:05 PM, December 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home