It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Because We Like A Happy Ending

There's been a story in the news recently of a family, The Kims, from San Francisco who went missing after Thanksgiving. Most of you have probably read or seen news reports regarding this. They were traveling from Seattle, down through Oregon, coming home to San Francisco. The wife and two small children were found, but the husband---who had set out on foot through rugged Oregon wilderness looking for help---remained missing for two more days. They found his body about an hour ago. I was surprised by how sad and utterly disappointed I was when the news broke. It seems that there was a lot of emotion invested in the search mission which has now become, sadly, a recovery operation. Even the undersheriff, while making the announcement, broke down.

What seems to make this story even sadder is that, in hindsight, there's the realization that Mr. Kim would be safe now had he NOT tried to find help. And yet, do you just wait for your whole family to die? I'm sure he felt that he had to do something. They'd already been stranded for four days before he left. Heartbreaking.

How is it that we sometimes become instantly attached to some news stories? We hold our breath and hope for good news. We anxiously wait to hear updates. We feel like we're part of it, even though we might be hundreds of miles away. Maybe this one seemed more gripping because the family lives nearby. The members of this family were total strangers and yet, through news stories, etc., they became real and familiar. I guess it's just that we like when the unlikely happens. We want heroes, we want the odds to be beaten, we want a happy ending.

6 Comments:

Blogger mreddie said...

So sad - I had not heard about the father, I've been away from the news. You are right though, I wanted a happy ending too. ec

4:36 PM, December 06, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I gravitated toward the Kim family’s story when I first heard it; even more so when I learned that James Kim was a graduate of a Louisville high school not too many blocks from where I live. I was overjoyed when I learned that Kati Kim and the couple's two daughters, Penelope and Sabine, had been located. But then my hopes began to wane as the search for James went on and on. Now, I mourn the family’s loss.

7:45 PM, December 06, 2006

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

I too, am so sad about this. It could happen so easily, and seems so unfair that James was trying to save the lives of his family members and suffered at all. So sad.

11:11 PM, December 06, 2006

 
Blogger si said...

very sad -- i too was hoping for the "happy ending" to this story. seeing the law enforcement officials lose their composure when relaying the outcome made even more of an impact.

i don't think mr. kim thought he had any choice but to try to find help. i can understand that absolute need to DO something. i found it touching in that he tried to leave clues in hopes of either being found or as a way to get back to his family.

12:07 AM, December 07, 2006

 
Blogger Crystal said...

I was also very affected by this story. It didn't help that I am very hormonal this week. My heart is broken for them.

6:42 AM, December 07, 2006

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

This story won't leave my head. I can't imagine what you do with a baby & a toddler in the cold for more than about 2 hours... hang onto hope, I guess. I'm so sad for them.

10:22 AM, December 07, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home