It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Friday, March 31, 2006

Have It Your Way

Some time ago a group of us were having a conversation about how women are always worried about every little detail of their bodies and all the imperfections in them while their significant others just love them the way they are. (For the most part; this is speaking in general terms.) A woman won't be "in the mood" because she's feeling yucky about her body, those extra five or ten or however-many pounds, the firmness that disappeared---whatever. And the guy isn't noticing any of that; he just wants to feel close to his "honey". The woman, in her insecurity, thinks, "I could be just any warm body. He doesn't really care that it's me" and the guy thinks "What is she caring about all of that stuff that I don't care about?? We can't do anything, no hanky-panky, because of stuff that doesn't even matter to me??" Oh, the injustice of it all!

So one member of this group made this analogy (paraphrasing here): "It's like I have this hamburger and it's a little flat maybe and the bun isn't perfectly round and the special sauce isn't spread totally evenly. The meat isn't completely perfect and the lettuce isn't as crisp as it could be maybe. But it's MY hamburger and I'm totally looking forward to it. It's MY hamburger and it's THE. ONE. I. PICKED." And so now he wants to enjoy it. He doesn't want to be deprived of his hamburger because of all the little flaws in it. (Kind of drives home the "being a piece of meat" phrase, if you know what I mean.)

Does any of this ring a bell?? Have you had this conversation? Have you been the hamburger that was too worried or the impatient consumer?

The other day this conversation came to my memory when I saw this magnet. Naturally I had to get it to send to the person who made the analogy:



(You know who you are....it'll be in the mail soon).

9 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

my hamburger has huge thighs.

12:11 PM, March 31, 2006

 
Blogger Rob said...

what a loser, is all i can say. that guy should be holding out for only the best hamburgers available. if the one he picked has wilted lettuce, he should return it to burger king immediately for a full refund.
or something.

2:16 PM, March 31, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

Right, hamburger boy. Just try it.

And Crystal, I guarantee that my hamburger has WAY huger thighs than yours. And your hamburger has an awesome hiney :) Lucky duck.

9:20 PM, March 31, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Ok for some reason this post has me stumped LOL,who'da thunk it moi lost for words!!

10:18 PM, March 31, 2006

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Better to have wilted lettuce on a hamburger than rancid fish in your California roll.

10:32 PM, March 31, 2006

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

i think i had something to say about my hamburger's voluptuousness (not in the good way), but i'm too amused by all the comments to remember what that was.

4:21 PM, April 01, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That analogy reminded me of a poem that I read in my ex-wife’s literature book many years ago. It really isn’t about how women feel about their bodies or how men see the women they love and desire. But it is about relationships—and I think about commitment and how no relationship is prefect just as no person is perfect. Since I spent 20 minutes googling to find the poem, I’m sharing it:

Love Song: I and Thou
By Alan Dugan
Nothing is plumb, level or square...
Nothing is plumb, level or square:
the studs are bowed, the joists
are shaky by nature, no piece fits
any other piece without a gap
or pinch, and bent nails
dance all over the surfacing
like maggots. By Christ
I am no carpenter. I built
the roof for myself, the walls
for myself, the floors
for myself, and got
hung up in it myself. I
danced with a purple thumb
at this house-warming, drunk
with my prime whiskey: rage.
Oh I spat rage's nails
into the frame-up of my work:
It held. It settled plumb.
level, solid, square and true
for that one great moment. Then
it screamed and went on through,
skewing as wrong the other way.
God damned it. This is hell,
but I planned it I sawed it
I nailed it and I
will live in it until it kills me.
I can nail my left palm
to the left-hand cross-piece but
I can't do everything myself.
I need a hand to nail the right,
a help, a love, a you, a wife.

5:17 PM, April 01, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

WOW!! I love it!!! Great poem, Nick. Thanks for sharing!

10:23 PM, April 01, 2006

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Interesting !?!?!?
Thanks for sharing.
Take care, Meow

1:16 AM, April 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home