It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Erm....What Was That Again?

For those of you who don't know, my two youngest sons are deaf. They were both born profoundly deaf, have since been implanted with bi-lateral cochlear impants and are doing wonderfully. For instance, if you didn't know, you probably would never be aware that they are deficient in any of their senses. Except maybe common sense. Sometimes.

Anyway, the point is, for the past two days my ears have been completely stopped up. I've got some sort of painful sinus thing going on. As a result, I can barely hear anything. What I do hear is muffled and incomplete and mostly nonsensical. I find myself piecing together what I think people said. I guess at a lot of it. I ignore the rest. I realize that since I can't hear most of what's going on around me, I just dismiss it. In two days I've become more in-drawn. In two days I've gotten a tiny glimpse of what my boys most likely deal with 99% of the time; though, with their implants, they probably hear better than I do right now. Even so, there's still an immense effort they put forth, I'm sure, to keep up with what is happening around them.... making sense of conversations with expert skill in piecework. I'm in awe. I don't know how they do it, day in and day out.

I take my hat off to them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Your kids are amazing in many ways... I think their ability to be so interested in the world even though it takes immense effort for them to know what's going on is incredible... There goes my hat too!

12:26 PM, April 13, 2006

 
Blogger Lisa said...

I take my hat off to them too. And YOU, for being such a great mom. I know it's been a challenge, and you have constantly learned from them and been compassionate to them. YOU are as amazing as THEM.

12:51 PM, April 13, 2006

 
Blogger Kylee said...

my hat off to you all. Its a challenge and its one you and they are facing and facing with smiles and learning each day!!

8:23 AM, April 15, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home