It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Homophones Can Be Confusing

It seems that in the past couple of months, quite a few people that we know have passed away from this life into the next. Most of them were older and had lived long, full lives. I recently referred to the one--a wonderful old man who left behind his wife of 61 years. Hard to imagine. My hat's off to them.

Anyway, at one of the funerals recently, my husband---who has a wonderful voice---was asked to sing. It was a complicated week in that I was going to be gone overnight on that day and the next so my in-laws were coming down to help out with the kids while I was gone. It happened that the funeral was on this same day, so we made plans for my husband's folks to pick up the kids from school. My husband was explaining all of this to the two youngest, explaining all the rigamarole: Maama and Poppa were going to pick them up from school because Mom's going to be gone until tomorrow and Daddy has to sing at a funeral. Some people we know had an aunt who died and the funeral's today and so Daddy will be gone too for a little while. After a few minutes of explanation, my youngest said in exasperation:

"All this trouble for an ant??"

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love it!

3:44 PM, January 11, 2006

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

on thomas' blog the other day there was much confusion of pique, peak, and peek.

i may have been an instigator. i'll not confirm that, however.

6:48 PM, January 11, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

I'll have to check it out. That's a good one.

7:05 PM, January 11, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

The young ones seem to know how to cut through the red tape and get to the bottom line - whether their perception is correct or not. :) ec

8:27 PM, January 11, 2006

 
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Oh that is hilarious. I don't know if it's the late hour or what, but that one killed me. Hope the other people in the house don't think I'm insane...laughing all by myself in here...

12:56 AM, January 12, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Awwwww, dontcha just love your kids :)

3:05 AM, January 12, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved this post! this is the same little guy that was impressed with the pro soccer players being *even* better than him, right? kids do say the greatest things -- funny without trying.

9:01 AM, January 12, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

same one :) I never know just what it is he'll say.

11:15 AM, January 12, 2006

 
Blogger the mama said...

hee hee.

2:44 PM, January 12, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home