It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

While NoOne Was Looking, New York City Snuck In

Okay, well maybe not New York City. But seriously, when did my small town become a booming metropolis? Where did all these people come from? They scurry around like ants, running to and fro, clogging up my once easy-to-drive streets. What's going on around here?

In an area where the median home price was recently $750,000 and where homes are routinely higher than that, I can't figure out why there are so many more people here than ever before. Shouldn't that be a deterrent? And what is all this new building going on? New homes left and right? New stores? For those of us who happened to be here before things went crazy, it's a little startling to see such signs of frantic life.

I now have to allow twice as much time to get anywhere. And if it's morning or evening traffic, I have to add even more time. Parking in some places has become quite painful. If you're smart, you have a book or puzzle to do whilst waiting at lights because you spend quite a large portion of your day doing so.

When did this happen? Where was I? They're sneaky, these people. They came from all their towns, near and far. They snuck in, little by little---a slow infiltration---and now there are too many to round up. Sigh. (I say all of this in jest, of course. I've been practicing my elitest voice because it's good to have several masks to put on. I'm one of the infiltraters my own self---it's just that my pilgramage was a long time ago to the area and so I feel partial. I want it to be the way it was then. I'm not so keen for things to get busier and busier and more and more crowded. It was okay when it was me but it's not so great when it's everyone else. That's fair, isn't it?)

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em in line at the corner Starbucks I guess (or FourBucks, as Bryan has referred to it).

See you there.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's what we say about "bay area encroachers" here by sacramento! ;-) "they're" the reason that our home prices have become astronomical. even though the prices are not as bad as the bay area (yet), most people cannot afford their own home if they had to buy it today.

and you're right about traffic. it seems like it takes longer to get across town than it is to *go to* sacramento (20 miles away).

but as you state, at least the boom brings a starbucks on every corner (if that's not blasphemous to say...).

3:54 PM, January 04, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Don't feel alone. Your Aussie cousins are feeling the pinch too. Our home prices have gone through the roof, and as "si" said, most people here can't afford to buy their own home anymore.

7:31 PM, January 04, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I believe what you are experiencing is what some call "progress" -- and then I ask them to define the term.

3:22 AM, January 05, 2006

 
Blogger jay are said...

people think we don't have seasons...but we do! Really! And what is Zingerman's??
Progress is in the eye of the beholder, eh?

7:28 AM, January 05, 2006

 
Blogger mreddie said...

Those Starbucks are everywhere, a new one just opened next to our Dunkin Donuts. Haven't been it yet, I'm too fascinated with the donuts. :) ec

11:29 AM, January 05, 2006

 
Blogger Lois Lane said...

I think it is fair. LOL! All of those people walking and driving about all willy nilly in your town. Who the hell do they think they are anyhow? Send me an address to write your senator I'm mad. :P
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane
P.s. Visit Kyle, link is on the Friday post at my blog. He is in suburbia hell. I think you'd like him and his rants.

10:30 AM, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger Rob said...

I think you should move up here. I live 30 minutes away from Seattle and it's heaven -- 4,000 people, 3 stoplights...

Of course, with my impending divorce I'll be selling my house soon, and by the time I in a position to buy one again, I'll probably have to move to Mississippi to do it.

PS. I do call Starbucks "Fourbucks", but I'm pretty sure it was Thomas (http://slackerswithadvanceddegrees.blogspot.com/) that I got it from...

1:58 PM, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger Michelle said...

OK, i'm trying not to be a stalker here...please post something!

5:27 PM, January 08, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home