It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Saturday, December 17, 2005

If You Can't Hear The Rain, Does That Mean It Isn't There?

Anymore I rarely think about what my two youngest sons miss out on by being deaf (when they have their processers off). Because they hear basically everything we do when they're wearing them, I don't think much about their deafness. And because I'm not deaf, I especially am lulled into a place where I can forget that they are and that no matter how great they hear, there's still some things they don't.

I'm reminded of that in a poignant way tonight. One of the greatest sounds to me is rain on the windows and roof at nighttime while I'm snuggly and cozy in bed. I realized again tonight that my sons will never hear that sound, never feel the happy, safe feeling it gives. When they go to bed at night, they take their processers off and instantly become completely deaf. This has its plusses: nothing wakes them up in the night; they sleep a deep and untroubled sleep. (Waking them up is another issue entirely.) Often they'll take off their stuff and lie in bed to read. They like this quiet time, I think. But I'm sad tonight to realize they're not hearing what I'm hearing. They don't know that raindrops are falling above them, pounding on the roof in a comfortable rhythm. The entire experience is outside the boundaries of the silent world where they sometimes exist.

11 Comments:

Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

*Sniff*, that makes me sad too. As much as I tire of the rain, here in the soggy Pacific Northwest, I too love the sound of it on the roof. I'm sorry they don't hear that. Tho, I think the sound sleep would be heavenly. It's a trade off, isn't it?

12:12 AM, December 18, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

this doesn't make me sad. it gives me pause to think - but maybe i'm just one of those freakin' pollyanna people... when i think about people who have any sort of variance from "the norm" (ha ha, i hear your heather jokes now), i tend o think about the ways that they experience life and how it differs from mine. and it makes me look for their strengths in a way that i wouldn't if they didn't have a condition with a medical billing code. usually i take people's strengths for granted and don't appreciate them at all. when i meet someone who is/has [insert any sort of condition here] i marvel at him or her, at his or her family, at the fortitude it takes to thrive on all levels.

that being said, i also envy their deep sleep because my refrigerator has the loudest buzzing that's intermittent so it's not even tune out-able while i'm sleeping.

1:00 AM, December 18, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

I like your approach, heath, and how you worded it....a good way to look at it.
and sound sleep would indeed be heavenly, ddm---no refrigerator buzzing, no pesky sounds at all intruding. non-apneatic sleep would be heavenly.
it's 1:15 a.m.! ANY sleep at this point would be great. goodnite! :)

1:07 AM, December 18, 2005

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I wonder if the boys sense of smell is much greater than yours. I love the smell of fresh rain on the ground, i bet the boys smell it even better than any of us who are able to hear.

2:58 AM, December 18, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

that's probably true....the body compensates so well...

8:30 AM, December 18, 2005

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I also find the sound of rain comforting and even mystical. I have a tape called “Falling Rain” that I sometimes play as I go to sleep. It is simply the sound of rain falling on a tin roof. Perhaps there exists something like that tape that you could share with you sons?

10:41 AM, December 18, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jay: i just want to say that i really like the way you write (i may have mentioned this before...). it strikes a chord within.

5:12 PM, December 18, 2005

 
Blogger Kylee said...

ditto the *sniff*

Its the simple things in life we take for granted....

8:23 PM, December 18, 2005

 
Blogger Crystal said...

yes, but wouldn't you like to have the ability to completely turn the world off sometimes?

10:16 AM, December 20, 2005

 
Blogger the mama said...

i envy your sons' ability to turn the world off.

7:40 AM, December 21, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

There would definitely be benefits to turning off the world! No doubt about it. And I think they do have times where they prefer the silence to any noise because they have lived with the option.

12:23 PM, December 21, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home