It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Friday, December 16, 2005

As Far As His New Eyes Can See

Today my husband got Lasik eye surgery done. He's been wanting to do this for some time, and so with nervous excitement he found himself in the waiting room this morning, ready to go. I was excited for him, yes, but mostly nervous. I've considered the idea of laser eye surgery for myself but mostly I'm a big chicken. What if I'm the one in a million that has it go wrong?? What if there's a freak moment when the machine goes on the blink (as it were) and oops. Just kidding!! Heh, heh. (I told you I learned well how to worry; I've got it down.)

They asked me if I wanted to watch his surgery. Are you kidding me?? I might get the itch to do this someday and if I watch, you can be sure I'll be cured forever. So I declined. Thank you very much but no I don't believe I'll watch my husband get his eyes sliced open flapped about put my back in whatever it is you do. I'll pass.

Dozens of people I know have had this surgery done and every single one of them has loved it. Positively would do it again---so perhaps I'll get my courage up soon. Until then, these handy little things called glasses will do just nicely. (For some reason I've abandoned my contacts which I have worn for more years than I can even believe. Mostly that's due to laziness.)

Anyway, he's doing great, he's already seeing great and he only had a couple of hours, apparently, of discomfort afterward. He's been trying to keep his eyes shut as much as possible and is wearing these classy little goggle things and is bored out of his mind. This too shall pass. Tomorrow he should be fine. He'll be able to drive and basically be back to business as usual. Amazing stuff, technology. No more contacts. No more four eyes. Woo-hoo!

SIDEBAR: In a funny coincidence, we found out today that my brother got this surgery done yesterday. He lives close to us, we see him probably every week. He and my husband haven't ever talked about having the surgery. Out of the blue and out of the several years in which they each have had the opportunity to get it done, they wind up getting the surgery within a day of each other. One of those odd little happenings.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kylee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:05 AM, December 17, 2005

 
Blogger Kylee said...

You worry too huh...my dad says I was born to worry. I had eye surgery when I was five...they told my dad that it was not big deal they just pop the eyeball out and lay it on my face to do the work...he said he almost fainted in the waiting room. Mom said she would have if she had heard that part. Good luck with his recovery..I heard it goes real fast.

12:07 AM, December 17, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

I would've fainted too if I'd've known my 5-yr-old's eyeball was going to popped out and worked on! Scary!

1:37 AM, December 17, 2005

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh my, i am sooooo jealous of your hubby! I have considered it too, many friends have had it done and all recommend it. It's still quite expensive here at $2000 per eye.

3:07 AM, December 17, 2005

 
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Congratulations to your husband. I bet he will be so relieved not to have to wear the glasses anymore. Isn't it incredible what they can do these days ... technology is getting more and more amazing. Hope he has a great day tomorrow, with his "new" eyes !

3:48 AM, December 17, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

i can't wait to have a good enough job to let me get lasik done.

to be able to wake up and see in the morning? wow...

8:44 AM, December 17, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

again, i'm with you! i've been told that i'm the perfect candidate for lasik (actually i've been told that i was the perfect candidate to the previous generations of surgery -- at one time it might have had to do with actual scalpels...ewww) by my eye doctor. i have definitely thought about it and would love to not have to hassle with contacts, and maybe actually see close to 20/20 (even with correction, i don't really see that well). i *just* haven't been able make that commitment yet. "messing with" my eyes is a big deal for me (i initially had quite a time transitioning to contacts too).

but as there are more and more people that i know that are getting it done, i'm less adamant about *not* doing it. maybe one of these days (unless i get too old first)...

12:01 PM, December 17, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home