It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sometimes My Kids Are Strange

They have these odd little quirks:

My 7-year-old (almost 8, I'm reminded daily) wants me to tickle his back, his face, his arms, his feet every night before he goes to sleep. Not rub them soothingly. He wants me to tickle them lightly. It "helps him go to sleep". ?

My 10-year-old sings at the top of his lungs in the shower sometimes even though he can't hear himself when he's in there (his processors can't get wet and so he takes them off, rendering him completely deaf). In general, singing when you can't hear yourself isn't a great idea. In this case, his sweet off-key songs are music to my ears. But what prompts him to sing if he can't even hear it?

And my normally handsome, fine-looking 15-year-old routinely takes odd and silly pictures of himself which don't really resemble him, looking instead something like this:




There's no figuring them out sometimes.

16 Comments:

Blogger mreddie said...

If a family had a hundred kids, they would all be different, guess it would be boring if they were all the same. But then you would at least know what to expect - but what would be the fun in that?

I'm to be babysitting today, so I will be updated on these differing adventures in an up-close and personal way. :) ec

5:29 AM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

good luck! :)

7:30 AM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger the mama said...

keeping you on your toes, is all. though the deaf singing has me totally confused :)

8:45 AM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger Lois Lane said...

The light tickles, we always did those as kids to each other. Now all of the 30 plus nieces and nephews love what we call "deedles" which was the word my sister said when she couldn't say tickles.
I hope you are recording the singing shower bandit. That could so be used later against him. ;)
As for the eldest, I'm amused. LOL!
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

10:43 AM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

Deedles! great word...I think I'll use that one.
and kids do keep ya on your toes!

11:26 AM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger Unknown said...

All kids are weird. Thank God!

“What is right for one soul may not be right for another. It may mean having to stand on your head and so something strange in the eyes of others.” ~ Eileen Caddy, Co-founder of the Findhorn Foundation, Scotland

1:15 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

My kids are so strange in their own special ways, too. One thing they have in common, which I cannot figure out: When we all get together (my son is grown and gone, daughter still home) they have great fun trying to outdo each other in the "I got in more trouble than you!" department. Huh? Can't they compete on something else?

4:59 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

i appear to have the same habit as your 15-year old.

8:34 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

ya know, now that you mention it...! :)

9:33 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

except i don't post the topless ones on the interweb. :)

10:05 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

the ninjas remain protected :)

10:23 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger Rob said...

the audience demands more ninja pictures from everyone...

11:08 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

bryan, done.

you're welcome.

11:43 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

oh, way to go, h-f. that's exactly what was called for....

11:50 PM, December 09, 2005

 
Blogger Rob said...

that is NOT what was called for, and you know it. :-)

12:05 AM, December 11, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

you didn't say euphemistic ninjas.

12:06 AM, December 11, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home