It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Best Sort-Of-Boy

This is a long story with probably way-too-many details. But anyway.

The other day heatherfeather talked about her sort-of-boy. (And she was meaning, really, a boy that's sort-of hers. I'm using it here to mean the sort-of boy my boy is). And I've gotta tell you, I have just the best sort-of-boy.

Some background:

I'm not much of a girly-girl. I don't spend time doing my hair (some days I don't realize until the evening that I haven't even combed it! I just pull it back in a clasp and am done with it). I don't wear jewelry. I don't spend a lot of time on my clothes. All these things are true but it doesn't mean I don't feel badly about it. I wish I was that kind-of-girl. For my husband's sake, I wish I was. And it doesn't mean I can't manage it when it's called for, but it'd be nice to look well-put-together every day. Alas.

The point of all that is this: despite all that makes me a tomboy, there is one thing that keeps me a girl: I LOVE purses. I love the different shapes, the textures, the colors. One could never be enough (One! I can hear my husband yelp in disbelief. Try twenty! Thirty!) In my defense, I buy purses cheaply. I go to Ross or Marshalls or T.J. Maxx or I buy them dirt cheap wherever else. It's far more satisfying to find "the" purse (of the month) for bargain prices.

So, for several days, I've had my eye on this purse. I walked into TJ Maxx, milled about the purses a bit and immediately spied it: the perfect purse. It was The One. We connected on that visceral purse level. Me and the purse: a match. Until I glanced at the price tag. ARGH!!! Why do I always make a beeline for the practically-most-expensive purse in the store?? Why do they call so loudly to me? So with resignation, I bid it farewell. Someday. Someday I'll purchase a purse such as this but certainly not now. Maybe when the kids are gone and I'm working and making scads of money (hah!) I'll sport me such a purse.

Last night, we were talking a bit about purses. My in-laws are here, having just returned from Siberia and Ukraine where they've been for four months, and my mother-in-law was showing me a beautiful little purse she bought at a shop in Bratsk. After admiring it, I mentioned the purse I'd been lusting after, described it a bit, and we moved on.

Imagine my utter shock when later that night, before I went to bed, I glanced down and saw THE PURSE sitting by the couch. I was completely and utterly confounded. My husband and oldest son were sitting around, watching this unfold. (My mother-in-law, who knew what was coming, had given up on my noticing it and had gone to bed). What was THE PURSE doing by my couch? I couldn't wrap my mind around it. My husband meanwhile was laughing at the blank look on my face, seeing the wheels just a-spinning. You see, I had never thought for a moment that he would go get it. I didn't even think he'd been listening when I'd been talking about the purse. After all, a purse is a purse is a purse. I hadn't even gone into very much detail. I never thought a thing about it when he went to run an errand. So since there had never been the glimmer of a thought of that purse being mine---certainly not purchased by my husband---I could not get what I was seeing to make sense.

It only took a minute, I'm sure, but those seconds of confusion lasted long. I don't think I've ever been so successfully surprised by anything. What a guy!!! Not only did he think I'm going to go get this because she wants it but he actually found it!! I don't think he's probably ever stepped foot in this store before, and I'm sure he imagined that he'd see a small row of purses and the The One would be obvious. Instead, he was greeted by rows and rows of purses. And still he found it! He said that as soon as he saw it, he knew it had to be the one. It was me. I knew it had my name on it.

He accumulated buckets of husband points for this! But that's just the sort-of-boy I have. Lucky me.

And here's just a little gander:


31 Comments:

Blogger mreddie said...

I love it when I catch up on husband points but I usually don't know whether I'm ahead or behind until an emotion or two whacks me upside the head. :) ec

2:31 PM, December 03, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

that is a good sort of boy.

hold tight to that one - one that would brave tj maxx 3 weeks before christmas looking for a purse he overheard described... he's a keeper.

(i'm all about perpetuating the women and shoes and the women and handbags stereotypes, so i say bully for you!)

as for me? i'm just a vxyzm

7:11 PM, December 03, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

:)
a keeper!

and mr. eddie....good luck with your husband points. get the score right :)

7:18 PM, December 03, 2005

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

And a photo to prove his wonderfulness!!! What a great guy! I have a coat/jacket problem. I buy them cheap, Oldnavy, Gap Outlet. I like shoes, but rarely covet them. Until a few months back. There's a recurring pair of red satin, pleated, high heeled, rounded toe shoes with black trim. I've seen them on some celebs in InStyle and People magazines, and I think they might be Prada. Which means I will never own them. If my hubby even found a similar pair and surprised me with them.....I can't begin to explain all the promises I'd be making. :-) Good for your husband for listening so intently AND surprising you all in the same day. Priceless!!

8:20 PM, December 03, 2005

 
Blogger Rob said...

you go, boy! (that's for your husband).

i'm guessing it wouldn't have been a mistake to do a lot more of that kind of thing myself...

11:47 PM, December 03, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

I'm guessing that maybe it would never have been enough.
but who's to say?
who can know?

it was a great move, tho, on hubby's part, I have to say. Full points there :)

11:53 PM, December 03, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

ddm---wish I could picture those boots. Now I'm going to be looking at all photos in People because I'm curious...maybe you should point them out to hubby and sigh really big. hint hint. But like you say, if they're Prada...hoo-boy.

11:54 PM, December 03, 2005

 
Blogger Michelle said...

What a guy! Does he have a brother? LOL! I had to laugh, i too love purses, am addicted to them! Your new one looks fabulous, love the color inlay. He's in for some good times ahead!

12:37 AM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

yes! He has two brothers and they're both fabulous as well. :)

1:44 AM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

I just went looking for them, and they are last season's style, or perhaps two seasons ago? I'll find them and bring them here. I now have a Sunday mission that will help me to avoid the mess that is my house.

9:58 AM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

anything to avoid a messy house is good :)

2:07 PM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

if i may say, i'm a fan of your boy's brothers, too.

how could this not be a fun word? oeefxixi

8:10 PM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

that was one of the better verifications, for sure.

my boy's brothers: seeing is even more believing. :)

9:01 PM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

is that your way of saying your husband is a hottie?

oh word verification, you are too good to me tonight... ffuxddy

10:53 PM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

I've got boring word verification tonight.
and my husband is a hottie, yes! :) hee.

11:05 PM, December 04, 2005

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Jay, do you think your hubby's brothers would like to visit "down under"......oh crap that read right LOL...you know what i mean!

2:59 AM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Awww! What a nice surprise! I certainly hope you gave him a little sumpin' sumpin' for his husband points. ;)
Lois Lane

9:07 AM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger Crystal said...

what if he came back with the ugliest purse you had ever seen? would you break up with him? or least make him sleep on the couch for a few days?

10:51 AM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

hah! well, apparently he was a little nervous about having found the right one so after he came back he asked a few questions about the purse I liked....And I STILL didn't have an inkling. Probably I wouldn't have made him sleep on the couch :) The gesture was so awesome he could've come home with the grossest bag ever and I would've been touched by the gesture. I would've returned it probably but I would've loved his guts out for it.
and Lois, I haven't given sumpin' enough (especially if you were to ask him!) :) but it's never too late.

11:09 AM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

and michelle, I'm sure his brothers could be convinced to visit your fine country :)
(nice wordage).

11:10 AM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

since we've wandered into salaciousness (albeit still somewhat guarded), i'm reminded of a story...

a few weeks ago my friend jenny had a bag of hershey's kisses. we were snacking on them in class, when one of my friends dropped one. when she drops anything she tends to exclaim, "[noun] down!" when i dropped my ipod she said, "ipod down!"

when she dropped her chocolate, she yelled, "KISS DOWN!"

which to the rest of us sounded like a command, not an alert warning.

1:10 PM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

hah! depending on who's around at the moment, that could go very badly! :)

1:44 PM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger Rob said...

Which of course reminds me of a joke...

Young, totally inexperienced guy is getting married, asks older friend for advice about wedding night. Mentor figure says, "Don't worry about it. Maybe just kiss her stomach and tell her you love her -- things will proceed naturally..."

So on the wedding night the guy starts kissing her stomach and saying "I love you."
She sighs and whispers, "Mmmm, a little lower..."
He shrugs, clears his throat and in deep voice says "I LOVE YOU..."

3:09 PM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

:) nice. guess he had some learnin' to do! I wonder if that was bit of a worrisome moment for her?

8:13 PM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

ewww, she wasn't one of those creepy "shin-fetish" people, was she?

9:02 PM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

or an icky calf-lover?! (I'm talking legs here, people, legs.)

11:28 PM, December 05, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

we usually save animal-human relations for erik's blog.

12:47 PM, December 06, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

exactly!! THAT's the forum for such conversations.

3:08 PM, December 06, 2005

 
Blogger Erik said...

hey! :)

12:15 AM, December 08, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

but it's a good forum. We only mean that in the best way.

9:45 AM, December 08, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

roll with the punches, e-dog.

6:11 PM, December 08, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home