It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I Hate Days Like This

where I accomplish absolutely nothing. I've got a list of probably ten things I absolutely should be getting done. I have probably no less than eight loads of laundry, no kidding. I have an enormous stack of who-knows-what I have to go through: magazines, mail, papers of every which kind and every degree of importance, junk mail, etc. It's been staring me down for days. Thus far I've been pretty successful at averting my eyes and going on. But the stares are getting heavier and more malevolent, so I know that soon there'll be no escape. Our office is incredibly, unbelievably messy. In fact, I have no idea---none whatsoever---how my husband accomplishes anything within those walls. I take one step inside the door and my insides go into panic mode. I feel short of breath, my heart constricts, I get the shakes and feel a need to rush to the nearest bowl (luckily there are about 12 within reach since my husband doesn't realize that they won't walk to the kitchen and put themselves into the dishwasher). (But I exaggerate. I think there's only about three. I'm afraid to go double-check just for the sake of accurate reporting.)

The only things I managed to do today were: get my kids up, dressed and to school (no small feat, mind you), go to the grocery store, and pick up my kids. That's all. All those hours in-between, and all I managed to do was plop myself in front of the computer and do nothing of importance.

I wish I could rewind and start over. The worst part is that instead there's every chance I'll do the same thing tomorrow.

I absolutely can't let that happen.

I make deals with myself like this all the time: Waste the rest of this day, keep blobbing around now since the day's virtually over, but then tomorrow get all the things on your list done. Deal?? Cool.

We'll see.

16 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Don't be so down on yourself, you had a huge Thanksgiving, not to mention the stress of your dad's illness. You deserve a day or 2 off to bum around. Be kind to yourself :)

10:13 PM, November 29, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

welcome to my life.

10:18 PM, November 29, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

:)
thank you, m
I feel better already
misery loves company, yes, h-f?

10:20 PM, November 29, 2005

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey! You can steal my material but you CAN'T steal my typical day!

3:44 AM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger mreddie said...

Your office sounds like the little room in which my computer resides. My favorite wife has her computer out in the open and all neat and clean, I just close my door.

Don't ask the wife about the bowl thing, but at least I do put mine in the sink.

Being somewhat of a word appreciator, I noticed that you used the word malevolent and I don't see it used very much.

A word kin to it is maleficent and that is used as the name of Disney's evil queen/witch in the classic Sleeping Beauty.

But I do ramble on - later. ec

7:27 AM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Oh my sweet wonderful new friend, you have been wrapped up in the virtual world. Don't let it suck you in! Your life will cease as you know it and there will be piles upon piles of dirty drawers surrounding you. Stop the addiction my friend. Here's how... use the computer as a reward for getting things done. Load of wash goes in, one blog read. Sink of dishes is washed, two blogs read. One living room vacuumed, check your e-mail and comments. Etc.. Try it before you are consumed in tighty whities! ;)
Lois Lane

8:25 AM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

hah! A reasonable solution, implemented immediately.

8:37 AM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Days like that? I have DECADES like that!

12:43 PM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger Rob said...

I can completely identify with the feeling of being defeated by impending tasks.
For me, it's like this:
I know that I can spend X hours working really hard at something I don't particularly enjoy, and at the end I won't have much feeling of accomplishment or satisfaction STILL have so much left to be done. So sometimes I opt to do nothing -- or maybe something fun like read a book -- instead. Not a recipe for success, but at least we're not alone...

2:30 PM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

I hate that whole thing of working feverishly for long hours for little return. So yeah, sometimes the book option just looks really good.
It's nice to not be the only one.

3:10 PM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

jay are, just fyi, i emailed you back. so you don't have to remember to check that email address. :)

ydsaflne

7:14 PM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger Crystal said...

eh screw it. that's what i always say. if not,"happy time" winds up being "guilt-ridden-i-should-get-up-but-not-before-this-episode-of-made-is-finished-i-am-a-horrible-person time"

and that is not good for anyone.

as long as your kids are alive at the end of the day, you have done your job.

8:27 PM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

Hey, I'm impressed with the getting the kids off to school. No easy fete here either, and I'm only shuffling ONE out the door!
I personally, feel guilty for days like that too. As I sit and type here, I realize that the fit of rage my mil and soon to be ex sil threw me into this morning, sucked up most of my productivity this afternoon. I am ignoring a pile of laundry waiting to be folded on my love seat.
Today, I am choosing to read and type as therapy for marrying into a Jerry Springer episode. The laundry will be there tomorrow.

BTW, so sorry you logged on to me and found that really angry chick!!! But BOY did it make me feel better to write it. That's one of the many reasons I started blogging.

10:10 PM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

exactly DDM....that's what it's all for. And we're all ears...

and I think the kids are still alive!! I better go check! :)

10:57 PM, November 30, 2005

 
Blogger the mama said...

right there with ya. there's always tomorrow, right?

11:31 AM, December 01, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

well, today is tomorrow, but it's unfortunately not a whole lot different!! Argh! BUT. The day isn't over and I have LOTS to get done. Here I go, in fact. See me run.

12:51 PM, December 01, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home