It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Fun Was Had By All

Beyond the serious part (see previous post), there were the other parts.

And the eating part was a success. No problems there. Undoing the damage, on the other hand, might be a little problematic. But it was worth it. Mmhmmm.

And then another part was the adventure part. Thursday night, after much eating and playing of games and um, more eating, everyone was asleep by midnight or soon thereafter. Everyone but me and my husband.

In the town where my parents live and where we were enjoying our Thanksgiving day, there is an outlet mall---presumably one of the biggest there is, not that that's relevant---and a new trend started this year: The outlets were open from midnight Thanksgiving to midnight Friday night. Who in their right minds would want to go shopping in the middle of the night? Well, I would for one ("right-minded" being in question)!! And the reason I thought it'd be a good idea was that I wouldn't have to deal with all the crowds and long lines. I figured there'd be a fair amount of people but it'd be better than facing the awful crowds later (there were a few stores I wanted to hit, and I don't make it to the outlets very often, so it was a perfect plan).

Or so I thought. I could not believe the amount of people out and about, shopping their guts out. And the lines!!! In quite a few stores, we just abandoned shop---as it were---because the lines were way too long. But I did manage to snag several good deals without too painful a wait. (Except the one store where a girl two people in front of us decided to let 8 of her friends cut in with her. They kept appearing from nowhere to purchase their items. It was amazingly annoying and rude).

My husband was a good sport, even standing solo in line while I ducked into the next store. What a guy!

By 3:00 or soon thereafter, we were back at my parents' place, tired and ready for bed. As we pulled into the driveway, a worrisome thought occurred to me: what if my mom got up sometime between midnight and 3:00, saw that the front door was unlocked, and locked it? What if that happened? She didn't know that we'd decided to go shopping, and so she would have assumed we were tucked downstairs in our beds.

Good ole Mom. Ever the careful watchdog. Ever the defender of unsuspecting sleepers. Ever the vigilant keeper of the lock.

And so. There we were. And it had started to rain at this point. And it was cold. We tried knocking quietly. My husband tried throwing pebbles at the closest bedroom window. We knocked some more. Finally we went back in the van, cranked up the heat for a bit and tried to figure out Plan B.

We didn't want to wake up the whole household if we could help it. My dad had plans to be at a job at 7:00 the next morning, so we didn't want to wake him. My brother and his wife have a baby who's not the best sleeper and we didn't want to be the cause for him waking up; we'd never hear the end of that one. So we had to find a way to arouse someone but just not everyone.

Every little bit my husband would go out and try something new. I called him on the cell phone and it sang its little song outside my brother's bedroom window. No go. Knocking didn't work. Calling out their names didn't work. We tried calling my mom's cell phone. Turned off. We tried calling my brother's cell phone. No luck. We didn't want to call the main house phone in case every room had a phone and we woke up the whole place. Finally, after an hour and a half of this, my husband rapped on the window where my brother was until he woke up. (Unfortunately, he also awoke my sister-in-law who was unable to go back to sleep and who then lay awake for an hour and a half. Sorry!! But we didn't wake the sleeping babe, so that was a plus). Another plus is that we didn't have to sleep on the trampoline.

SO....at 4:30, cold and tired, my brother unlocked the door and we were able to stumble down the stairs to our wonderful warm, soft bed and pillow. Nothing was as lovely as that moment. Bliss.

The next time I have a brilliant idea, somebody shoot me.

9 Comments:

Blogger heatherfeather said...

this reminds me of bryan's story of spooning on the trampoline with his brother (said brother probably prefers spooning with the wife, however) in calgary.

i tried not to leave my house at all on friday - i'm scared of shoppers.

11:22 PM, November 26, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

you'll notice now, if you read this again, that I also remembered Bryan's trampoline experience. :) (I made a little revision).
I also didn't venture into a store on Friday. Midnight Madness (as it was called) was enough for me. Whew.

11:28 PM, November 26, 2005

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Have to agree with Heather, shoppers are way scary! And, will only get scarier the closer to Christmas LOL! Good for you though, you managed a bargain or 2!

1:03 AM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger Rob said...

So if I saved, say, fifty bucks by shopping at Midnight Madness, I can guarantee that I personally would have gladly paid somebody that same $50 to not have to spend 3 hrs doing it, plus 1.5 hrs in the van. But that's just me -- I'd rather have my face eaten by weasels than shop anywhere other than the hardware/sporting goods store. If there were home furnishings or clothing involved in this particular shopping trip, I would have been looking for one of those seppuku swords to fall on by about 30 minutes in...

3:05 PM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger Rob said...

On the other hand...
No kids, no one to interrupt, it's dark, padded seats, an hour & a half alone -- maybe you guys just had the wrong take on things with all this trying-to-get-back-in-the-house business...

3:06 PM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger mreddie said...

Massive chuckles about your adventure, even though I am about like bryan torre on shopping stuff. ec

7:15 PM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

a few things: first of all, I really dislike shopping. It's not something I totally enjoy, which is why I thought the midnight thing would possibly be the lesser of many shopping evils. I was wrong, of course, but hindsight....And I think my husband endured it rather than fall upon a spear of sorts because it was something different and an opportunity to have a conversation with each other which doesn't happen a lot. Like I said, what a guy, huh?

also, who said the padded seats in the dark, uninterrupted, wasn't taken advantage of? ;)

10:06 PM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

i only like shopping if it's for shoes. or handbags. ooh, and skincare stuff. and dresses and skirts.

who am i kidding? i only like shopping if it's for me.

and as i had said before, good woman, jay are. good woman.

5:11 AM, November 29, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

hah---I only like shopping if it's for me! ;)...hee. and if it's somewhere like anthropologie. or oilily (do you have one of those?) or urban outfitters....

9:37 AM, November 29, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home