It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Time To Celebrate

Soccer season is over!!! YEAH!!! Woohoo!!!

This year my middle son, who is a really good soccer player if I may say so, was on a team that was---shall we say---less than great. In fact, today at the end-of-season party he got an award for scoring the most goals. He scored four goals. So that might give you an idea of how the season went. There are about 10 or 11 games. I think one or two kids scored a goal somewhere in there. And he scored the most with four.

The kids never seemed to mind much that they never won a game (they possibly won or tied the first game). They didn't mope or pout or ever be poor sports. I was impressed with that. But seriously, how fun can it be to play a sport and NEVER win a game?

This league is not a competitive league (clearly) and so you wind up with teams where some of the players have rarely played the game, others are okay, and there's maybe one or two really strong players. While that makes it nice to even things out, I'm not sure how much improvement or progress gets made.

At any rate, the torture is over. The rushing back and forth to practices is over. The suffering through games ending usually with no goals for our side is over.

Ahhhhhhh. Can you tell how disappointed I am?

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

I think I had like two goals my entire soccer career. I played fullback, so I wasn't supposed to be a goal-scoring machine, but still...
And most of my teams lost a lot, too.
But you can tell son #2 it all works out in the end. Eventually you get on a good team -- law of averages, whatever -- and you enjoy your brief moment in the sun. Then you start to get older, you get divorced and develop a horribly disfiguring disease, ultimately dying alone and unmourned and they find your body months later after it has rotted into the couch cushions.
Hope that helps.

11:52 PM, November 19, 2005

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Ahh yes the sports run! I loathe the training during the week, now that drives me crazy. Why do they need to train? It should be based on fun, and fun for the parents too!

LOL @ Bryan's comment, geez if i wasn't depressed when i arrived here................

1:03 AM, November 20, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

can we start calling bryan

bryan "little ray of happy sunshine" torre?

it's easier to pronounce than xxhveen.

5:35 AM, November 20, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

ah yes, sunshine torre, little ray. but some days (not a lot), that prognosis seems likely. I'll be sure to let my son know what he's got to look forward to.

and he did have fun, so that's good. he even looked forward to the practices, tho I can't say that I ever did. but it's over! yay!

8:44 AM, November 20, 2005

 
Blogger heatherfeather said...

completely unrelated, but i haven't forgotten to get back to you about music therapy... however i lost your email address. if you still have mine would you mind emailing me? or i can grab it the next time you comment on my blog.

in happy news, i'm 99.8% done with finals!!!! to celebrate, i should go shopping at the gapmoh.

2:56 PM, November 20, 2005

 
Blogger jay are said...

that's excellent news about your final!! Another reason to celebrate and have a good tjlxjfi.

3:11 PM, November 20, 2005

 
Blogger the mama said...

my sister has been on "that team" for years now. and loves it! whatever makes them happy, i guess.

glad to hear it's over for you (for a while)!

6:45 AM, November 21, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home