It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sometimes Your Heart Just Breaks

My middle child is a smart, handsome 12-year-old. He's kind and empathic and wants everyone around him to be happy and comfortable. He's polite and accommodating and most of the times selfless in his endeavors. Sometimes I'm not sure if he's real. My middle child is also deaf, and although he has bilateral cochlear implants, he's still deaf and he operates and functions every single day with greater effort than I can probably ever comprehend. He has to try harder to hear what's being said, he has to concentrate harder than anyone around him to keep up in some measure with any conversation, any directive, any social happening. He's usually on the fringes of any activity---hearing enough to not be completely outside the circle but not hearing enough to be in the center of it and to really "get" it.

Most of the time, I think he cruises along okay. That's what I think. But then every now and then there's a night like tonight where, in tears, he admits he wishes he wasn't deaf. Tears because of the impatience of his peers as he struggles to catch all the conversation, the exasperated "what?"s of his unworthy peers as they try to understand the thing that he's saying. His hearing is excellent when you consider that this is a boy who is completely deaf. His speech is excellent when you consider that this is a boy who---without his implants---wouldn't hear a jet landing ten feet from him. He'd feel it and probably know it was coming before you did, but he wouldn't be able to hear it. He wants to be the same as everyone else.

But when you're 12, you don't think about how much harder life would be if you didn't have implants. You don't think about how much luckier you are because you can hear and talk. You don't think about how much greater your life is going to be because you're a kind person and nice and you care about other people and you're not a jerk and self-centered. You don't realize the importance of those things when you're 12. You only know that you're different and the struggle to fit in and be the same is overwhelming some days. You only know that you're not "with it" and not inside the unworthy circle at all times. You don't know that that circle doesn't even matter, because when you're 12, 13, 15, 16, it does matter. And I say "unworthy" because most of them aren't worthy of the selfless, kind boy that he is. So many of them are unkind, punky, mean, impatient, foul-mouthed, snotty kids. Many of them are not, I know, but many of them are---the ones who hurt his heart are. And they're not worthy.

And so your heart breaks. I would become deaf if he could hear. I would lose a limb if it meant he could be hearing---in the full, true sense of the word. But I can only, painfully, stand by and know that he has to grow up deaf in a world that hears and he has to learn how to navigate it for himself. I know he'll do it but the process can be oh, so painful.

And in case that's not enough, his 10-year-old brother is deaf as well. His hearing is excellent, his speech is excellent....but he's deaf and he'll soon be 12 and in middle school and trying to fit in with a bunch of kids who won't have the maturity to be patient or kind.

And my heart will break all over again.

17 Comments:

Blogger jay aitch said...

Tell him I'd gladly give him my hearing if I could. He is 'way ahead of whoever is in second place, but that doesn't help him with his heartache and loss.

12:52 PM, March 27, 2008

 
Blogger Crystal said...

i'd give my ears too. and i only know of him through his wonderful mother.

wish i could hug both of your right now.

3:11 PM, March 27, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

thank you for the kind kind words.

3:22 PM, March 27, 2008

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Being 12 isn’t easy in any situation. Deafness can certainly make it much more difficult to be around other 12-year-olds. As the hearing in my right ear declined over the past few years and my questions of “What did you say?” and “Please say again” increase along with my apologies of “I’m sorry, but I didn’t hear/understand you,” I can indentify just a wee bit with what he must endure.

3:38 PM, March 27, 2008

 
Blogger Rob said...

i feel for him. as ssnick said, it's hard enough being 12. i remember, and i wasn't deaf.

i know it doesn't change anything, but i'd still rather be him than most people i have known in my life. not just because of the love and privilege he grows up with, but because of who he is -- his heart, as you say.
i think that will carry him a long way.

5:37 PM, March 27, 2008

 
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Oh, man. Yes, his life is going to turn out good -- no matter what happens -- and he is a wonderful wonderful person. Like you say, sometimes it's hard to believe he's real. But oh my, none of that is any consolation, right now, to him. Argh. If I could give him my ears I would too -- but the other thing I'd like to do is go beat the ever-living snot out of any kid who has been unkind or impatient with him. I know that's not the right reaction but oh my. If they only knew, if they only knew. If they only could grasp what a victory it is that he's even IN their stupid school. If they only realized how pitiful they are and how awesome he is. Argh. I'm so annoyed and sad. :(

8:29 PM, March 27, 2008

 
Blogger si said...

another "got-to-me" post. as others have mentioned, this period of one's life can be bombarded with meanness, pettiness, impatience, etc, anyway. and, being *different* is not something most kids would choose. i have heard about your son and what a wonderful boy he is. my heart breaks for him (and for you). sort of feel like anya and want to kick the you-know-what out of these jerks.

5:19 PM, March 28, 2008

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Yeah, middle school is pretty much the rottenest place on earth, even when you can hear.

He's a great kid...he can and WILL be even stronger/kinder/more wonderful than he already is because of enduring hardship..

doesn't make it any less sad, though...

6:11 PM, March 28, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

thanks everyone for your kindness and reinforcement. very much appreciated.

11:59 PM, March 28, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sob* I'm so sorry Jay Are. I wish I had words of wisdom for him and for you.....just know that I understand the worry of what other kids can/will do to your child's self esteem. Right now, Bugga is in a special ed classroom, first grade and it's going great. He has friends, he's happy, the school integrates the typically developing kids in with the special ed kids very well. But it's not always going to be that way. I DREAD his middle school years.

10:22 AM, March 29, 2008

 
Blogger 3boys'mom said...

A huge hug to you....

9:45 PM, March 29, 2008

 
Blogger Amy said...

I had a sudden, complete hearing loss in one ear when I was 31. It seems deafness is a hidden handicap. A deaf person doesn't appear to be different, so people tend to forget the little considerations.

My loss is really nothing compared to your son, but I do know even well meaning people have trouble with this one. Thinking of you.

5:51 AM, March 30, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

thanks, amy. It's very true what you say---the "handicap" isn't easily noticeable so presumptions are made that aren't always accurate. It's a good reminder for me, too. We can judge so easily--and young kids aren't always merciful. It seems like very young kids are fine with differences---but by the time you reach 10, 12, etc. that easy acceptance disappears. Sad.

3:49 PM, March 30, 2008

 
Blogger Blogball said...

wqmpiThis post broke my heart too. The few times I have had the opportunity to spend some time with this young man he has nothing to worry about in the future except having the patients to deal with the majority of the population with half the character and integrity he possesses. I have no doubt that he will be kind and patient to those as well.

10:58 AM, April 02, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

ah, thanks. when he's older and more settled in who he is, I want him to see all the wonderful, kind things everyone had to say about it. Naturally, I agree with them all :)

12:51 PM, April 02, 2008

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Coming out of my cave to just say that being a parent is the most heart warming and heart breaking experiences invented. It must be so hard not to storm the school and punch the noses of impatient kids... even though they are just being kids. Oh, the mother bear in me! Wish there was something magic to take it away... at least you can see that these things will make him stronger, as they already have... and you can see all the wonderful things he has to offer the world, like kindness, sensitivity, etc... Hugs hugs hugs to you and him.

12:45 PM, April 04, 2008

 
Blogger Kristine said...

I'd too give him my ears and hearing,I havent cried so hard in such a long time, reading this message. He is the sweetest boy around and I know he will always be! Unfortantly i feel that it isn't going to get any easier through his high school years, I wish it would and could. Just keep standing by him, and loving him, I know you will.

2:24 PM, May 12, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home