It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Monday, October 24, 2005

Hero Of The Evening

I've been sick for days and don't seem to be getting much better. I have sinus stuff and a terrible cough. Today, after picking up two of my kids from school, the youngest one starts throwing up in the van. Earlier last week, my middle son had two nights of high fever and hallucinations---weird stuff. It's a regular sick ward around here! Crank open the windows! Air out the joint! Hurry!

So my poor husband, though overloaded with work (he had to rush home to watch my youngest while I brought my oldest to the orthodontist---hack hack, coughing though I was) decides to go out and pick up something for dinner. I certainly wasn't moving very fast and couldn't possibly have made anything. He's also going to pick up some cough medicine. This whole excursion, which should have taken a half an hour, winds up taking over an hour. He has to go to two stores for the medicine (Buckleys, which is just vile but maybe works) and then the drive-through line was horrendously slow and long. On the way home, the drinks spill twice. As he's getting out of the car, he plans to put the drinks up on the roof temporarily, and while he's looking to make sure the one didn't spill, he drops all the fries and bags of food. I can hear him from my unhelpful spot on the couch yelling out. Uh-oh. Doesn't sound good.

He eventually makes it in, haggard and unamused, with the tattered remains of dinner. He goes back out to clean up, and my oldest goes out and (maybe?) helps a bit. He then, my son, comes in and proceeds to accidentally eat my husband's food rather than his. So Dad comes in, hungry and irritated, only to find that his food mostly got eaten. Oops.

He handles this all amazingly calmly and well while I'm running through all the scenarios of how I would be reacting. None of them really matched his. So I just wanted to say that the man deserves a medal. One of those medal-for-the-day kind of things. I know he didn't save a life or anything or pull someone from a burning building but sometimes these kinds of everyday, frustrating thankless tasks deserve some sort of mention and recognition.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lois Lane said...

I'm glad the Mr. stepped in wearing his cape, sorry about his food. I hope you are feeling well soon.
Lois Lane

11:38 AM, October 27, 2005

 
Blogger Rob said...

good on ya, mate.
just the way I would have handled it, except that I would have beaten my family with whips, then thrown the cat in the river.

1:17 PM, November 08, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home