It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Poetic Justice

My favorite news morsel of the day: somewhere in Sweden, a man and his son are out goose hunting. Boy shoots goose out of the sky. Goose, weighing 13 pounds, plummets toward the ground. It lands on father's head and knocks him out cold. Father spends two days in the hospital but doesn't hold it against the goose: "It wanted to exact its revenge, I suppose." I'll say!

Now I know this man could have been seriously injured but since he wasn't, I find the whole thing quite hilarious. I'm not a big fan of hunting just for the fun of it. Unless it's something like rats. That would be fine with me. Otherwise, it seems a tad on the barbaric side. And perhaps these two were actually hunting for food and were going to eat whatever they shot. I cut them some slack if that's the case. After all, this was Sweden. Could be a weekly tradition; I don't know. At any rate, this just seemed like exactly the right ending to the story. From the goose's point of view: Take that, O Man and Boy With Big Fat Guns.

The second funny thing about this story is that the man's name is Ulf, pronounced "Oof". Another fitting detail, if you ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home