It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Proof Positive

There have been times in the last several years when I've wanted another baby so badly that it was an ache I physically felt. I teetered between yearning and doubt---should we? should we not? A little more time would pass. The feeling would come and go.

Here's one more little proof, however, that the time has permanently passed, that feeling but a faint and distant pang:

When I'm working out at the Y, invariably, inevitably there's an announcement: "Would so-and-so please come to ChildWatch." In the background you can hear a child screaming or crying. This announcement is sometimes met with a murmur of laughs. And what do I feel? "They are never going to call my name. THANK GOODNESS!" Sometimes I have to stop myself from pumping my arms up in exultation.

So, should the highly unlikely time ever come when I wonder if the pitter-patter of little feet is what I'm missing, all I need to do is spend an hour at the club. It won't take long to get my answer.

Phew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home