It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

1 3

How is it possible that my sweet, sensitive little boy is now a teenager?? When did that happen? It was 13 years ago that he came into the world---on time, in a hurry, and not in the mood to wait around. I was at home when my water broke, and I called my parents to come be with our five year old. The contractions were coming pretty quickly and strongly (ask my mom; I almost broke her hand during one of them!) and suddenly I just knew there was no more waiting around---even though the nurse at the hospital said, "oh, just walk around, drink lots of water." Uh, no. Bad idea. We took off for the hospital (2 in the morning) with my Dad following in the car behind us (I'm trying to remember why he was following in his car?) We ran every red light and pulled up into the emergency room entrance. Thankfully my Dad moved our car---if my husband had, he would've missed the whole show. I could tell that this baby was coming any minute and I couldn't even get out of the car. The ER guys came with a stretcher, picked me up on it, checked me out in the triage room and said "I think we can make it upstairs." Down we flew through the halls, me hanging on for dear life, still in my "uniform" (a jean dress that my husband had come to truly despise by this point). We got into a room and they hoisted me onto a bed, still dressed in my clothes. About three minutes later, here he was---a sweet, funny baby who now has become a handsome, kind, smart....teenager (he enjoys reminding me about that part!). Happy Birthday!!

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, eventually they do become teenagers!

Please pass on my birthday blessings.

3:39 AM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

thanks Nick!

7:36 AM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

He's so handsome! And sweet, smart, and awesome. Wow, I can't believe he's 13. Crazy! I remember that jean dress. It was cute. I guess it was just too much of a good thing. :)

10:46 AM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

definitely too much...yeah, 13! hard to believe.

11:21 AM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger jay aitch said...

Ah, what a handsome guy! Yes, I remember that time well. I remember telling you to get to the hospital regardless what the nurse was saying on the phone! It was time! We almost had to deliver him at your house and I'd never done that! He is a joy, always!!!

2:44 PM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger si said...

what a handsome young man! a big happy b-day to him!

pretty harrowing entrance into the world -- makes for a good story, tho. i work with someone who was born in the parking lot of the hospital -- could *not* quite make it inside... :)

3:30 PM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

yikes...I was worried about that fate but made it in the "nick" of time. heh.

4:01 PM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger Bookworm said...

Wow a teenager. Welcome to the world of teenagers. Now brace yourself. LOL He's a nice looking young man. :-)

Btw, stop by my blog. I gave you an award!! :)

8:08 PM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger 3boys'mom said...

On my mom's side of the family, one lady couldn't make it inside to give birth, either....she had the baby in the car....and the name they'd picked out? Well, Carla of course! (Yes, they kept the name!). Happy Birthday Nick!

8:41 PM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:12 PM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger jay are said...

Carla! That's great. Maybe that's how Nick got his name---cuz we made it to the hospital in the "nick" of time.

11:15 PM, October 28, 2008

 
Blogger Amy said...

Wow 13! Happy Birthday Nick!

1:04 PM, October 29, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving the information about those last minutes before the birth. I love those stories. What did Jay Aitch and I do to deserve such a neat grandson??? Happy Birthday, Nick! Love, Maama xo xo

11:44 PM, October 30, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home