It takes a spot of courage to stand up tall and a bit of derring-do to rise when you fall

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Life Is Just So.....Daily

That's on the front of a Mary Engelbreit card, and it's a line I've always liked. Because life isn't really made up of very many exciting, breathtaking moments. It's mostly the common, ordinary, usually boring, everyday kind of moments that are the main fabric of life. And right now those are including Round Two of the yucky flu with my youngest. He got sick on Monday in the early hours of morning---that horrible retching that awakens a mom from the deepest of sleep and launches her from bed. He seemed to be better yesterday, so I thought "that's that" and then he got it all over again this morning. He rarely gets anything---even a cold---and so this is just no fun for him. I can't say it's a day at the park for me, either. For two days everything's been out of sync...my workout, my errands, my plans. And I'm not resourceful like many---I don't seem to have a Plan B in my head. When Plan A goes haywire, I seem to let everything get all soupy and messy---my house, my habits, my diet, etc. I resolve to work out a Plan B.

So that hasn't been the most fun I've ever had. I guess it's payback for a fun time last week. My husband and I spent two days and nights in San Francisco while his parents stayed with the kids. It was so great. San Francisco was at its stunning best, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Our hotel was great (Hilton), the location was great (right in the middle of Chinatown, several blocks from Union Square), the weather was perfect (clear, sunny, warm)....just what I needed.

Maybe that was a storing-up time for these now not-so-pleasant days and for the discovery that a friend near and dear to my heart is apparently taking a direction in life that is leading and will lead her very far away from me. It has been exceedingly heavy on my heart these past few days, and I find myself in a sort of isolated place of grief, usually reserved for mourning someone who has died. But in some ways, it feels like that has happened or is in the process of happening. I purpose to be more optimistic and positive-feeling about it, but the dread inside me undermines my ability to do that very well. Life isn't always rosy and flawless....and mostly it's just so daily.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sonia Wetzel Photography said...

Jay,
I'm sorry about your friend's new direction.....it's so hard to lose someone.
You and I should have blogged together in the wee hours of barfing children. PLEASE tell me that we won't get a round 2? Please?
Yay for your San Fran trip! I've only been there once about 10 years ago, but I really liked it.

11:55 AM, January 10, 2007

 
Blogger jay are said...

I saw your post and couldn't believe it! cyber puke vibes...yuck. here's to hoping there's no round two in your future :)

12:05 PM, January 10, 2007

 
Blogger jay aitch said...

I'm sorry too about 'friend.' I think she just needs time to go through some experiences and when she sees her husband and children in need also, she will re-think her direction.

2:47 PM, January 10, 2007

 
Blogger Left Coast Sister said...

Life is so daily, isn't it. That's perfect. My friend emily blogged about having a word for the year.... Mine is contentment. I think it is so hard to be content with the everydayness of it all.
Friendships aren't only tricky at 13, are they. hmm. Responsible adults making akward decisions is hard stuff. hang in there.

4:49 PM, January 10, 2007

 
Blogger si said...

perfect motto! unfortunately, it fits me to a tee also.

tho glad you had a great time in the city, sorry for your un-lovely times now. i know how it is to lose a friend. that's something that's happened/happening to me recently. it is a loss.

5:47 PM, January 10, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home